Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P.A. Sturtevant Co. Master of Mechanics Trophy
P.A. Sturtevant Co. Master of Mechanics Trophy (Source: Karter News, 1966-July)

I'm sure many of the vintage kart veterans are aware of this award and the circumstances when given. For those that do not know, the award, introduced in 1964, recognizing the mechanic's contribution to the IKF Grand National Champion.

At the start, only one one trophy was given at the IKF Grand National event. I'm not up to speed on the later requirements on how the award was won. Please chime in if you KNOW:

- Enduro IKF Grand National Champion? 
- Was this award given at IKF Winter Nationals?
- Was the award eventually expanded to two, one for the IKF Senior Grand National Champion mechanic and one for the IKF Junior Grand National Champion mechanic?
- Is the trophy still given?

Here's a picture of the "Grand National Champion Award" I won at the IKF Enduro Nationals in 1978. At that time the award was also knows as "the Lou Borelli Award" and it was awarded to the mechanic for the Grand National Champion at the event. The criteria for receipt of the award was as follows: The entry had to win the event and lead every lap. If more than on competitor met that criteria then the next consideration was if the same competitor achieved the win and lead every lap standard in more than one class. In 1978 and 1979 I won two of the American Reed classes, led every lap and lapped 2nd place in each of the races and became the first back to back winner of the Lou Borelli Award. In those days the award was sponsored by Hartman Engineering.
In 1980 I went to the enduro nationals in Kent, Washington and lapped the field in all three stock McCulloch classes but when it came time for the award presentation at the banquet everyone was shocked to hear the award was given to Sam Winkler. John Hartman casually advised me after the banquet that he decided to change the criteria for the award because he didn't want it going to the same person over and over. He said that for that year it was given as a "family award" to Sam to honor their father/son success in the dual reed class. In one simple moment of unclear thinking John basically killed the meaning of the award. I don't know how many more times the award was given out but it was no longer held in the same esteem as it had been for many years. 
Steve O'Hara
Thanks Steve, great information!

I remembered you shared the photo of your "Mechanic's award" (Lou Borelli) once before somewhere, but I was unable to locate it when researching this topic once again when the Sturtevant Trophy story surfaced in Karter News.
Thanks to Terry Walter who has that trophy from 1966 and the jackets for providing a live interview today at Sugar River Raceway. It will be part of the new "live walk through video " from that event. We will get the footage together in a few days to start posting.
When I viewed this post, I thought I'd seen that mechanic's award before. I have; at Bob Jeffery's shop. Also in an old Karter News that somehow didn't get thrown away in all these years. Here's a scan of the magazine article.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nztHxrLFtbk

I think this is what you are looking for.