Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axles
Very interesting discussion.

Like the old Forum used to be.

Too bad we lost all of that collected wisdom......
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
The old Reed Eng. 4130 tubular axles were the best I ever used. They even stood up to triple modified Macs. I ran them on the B Open kart with a center mounted rear wheel, and they still didn't "tramp" on acceleration. I wish they were available today. TJ
Seems like to keep our vintage karts vintage we have self imposed using the one inch axles and then we have to deal
with the better axles being no longer available .

So we are now need custom machined parts, while modern kart axles are available..... we can't use them except
on some of the sidewinders that are being introduced to the vintage classes.......plus all of us are no longer light weight kids and you know the results !

The Azusa axles are available for fun cart building, but we buy them and abuse them...... you get what you pay for or find a better source of quality components..( in the one inch size ) chasing our tails to stay within the era correct rules .

It's still a lot of fun to get on the track with this old stuff, but it does break.......that's Vintage for ya' !

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I wrote an article and had it on the other forum on straightening axles and showed the jig for checking. Put the straightest side on the sprocket side and the worse on the opposite. Heck the tire is probably out of round that far. I use a press for getting them trued up. Takes some time. best method is to know where your keys need to be and to only cut right where they need to be.
I have been lucky and not received any axles that were running out at all from Azusa. I feel fortunate not to o get stuck with crap that needed attention, I have even purchased blanks from Azusa and machined keyways for the 250 Nemisiss karts(40 mm) and still not have any m problems with runout Knock on wood!.

Far as straightening axles, I have been doing it for the last 25 years. Especially since the introduction of the Tony karts in 1989.. I started selling them is 1992 thru 2008.
I bought an axle from BMI Karts for my Rupp. After I got it all together and fired it up I could see the engine move up and down following the axle. Took it all back apart, screwed the nuts on each end and set those in V-blocks clamped to a steel work bench. Then I set up a magnetic base dial indicator to check run-out along the length of it. Not the best way to do it, but it's what I had available to me. I found the axle had .048" run-out at it's worst point. After several attempts in the press I got down to .010" at it's worst, only problem is that's right where the bearing runs. Oh well, it's better than it was. As was suggested by another poster, I put that end opposite the sprocket and live with it. I'm sure those Chinese tires run out a lot worse than that. The engine is still now and I don't notice it driving, that's close enough for me.
My Azuza flex proof axle has the same issue. I could see it move while in the v blocks. I put in the lathe and the end moves around so much it reminds me of one of those flex drinking straws. Now I have to wait while the seller contacts Azuza to see if they will drop ship me another one. I've asked them not to ship me a new one unless they are willing to check the runout first. If they can't they need to refund my money.

To bad Margay isn't making their 150 axles in various lengths.
I stopped using Azusa axles years ago when some fellow vintage enduro karters and myself must have purchased, returned for exchange multiple times, then gave up getting a straight one, over a dozen axles. I switched to snap ring axles which I purchased from TS Racing. Each one has been exceptionally straight. I recently made a step axle out of one of them. It cost me less to machine the step than it did paying postage trying to exchange bent axles for a straight one from Azusa.
TS Racing solid steel axle 1X38 = $30

http://www.tsracing.com/store/showdetl.c...7&CATID=11

Attached Files
.jpg   Axle1.0 X38 TS Racing $30 ea.jpg (Size: 8.33 KB / Downloads: 42)
if you have a lathe make you own axles you can get 1144, 1045, 4130 in Turned grounded and polished Ken