Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great vapor blasting resource
I didn't find this one; Pruit Ginsberg turned me onto it. I just last night got the CT wheels back from vapor blast, and they are like new. A perfect as-cast surface, and not a speck of the old paint left on them. The surface is much more like the original castings than it would be had I bead blasted them. Courteous folks to deal with, and a quick turn-around. If you plan to use parts for show, by all means see Sam Bennett, but if they're to be painted, or if you want an engine to look new, but not shiny, this is a good resource.
Ted

Resto Cycle vapor blasting
520-308-3705
RestoCycle LLC
850 E Ohio St., Suite 17
Tucson, AZ, 85714
info@restocycle.com
(06-03-2017, 08:28 AM)ted johnson Wrote: I didn't find this one; Pruit Ginsberg turned me onto it. I just last night got the CT wheels back from vapor blast, and they are like new. A perfect as-cast surface, and not a speck of the old paint left on them. The surface is much more like the original castings than it would be had I bead blasted them. Courteous folks to deal with, and a quick turn-around. If you plan to use parts for show, by all means see Sam Bennett, but if they're to be painted, or if you want an engine to look new, but not shiny, this is a good resource.
Ted

Resto Cycle vapor blasting
520-308-3705
RestoCycle LLC
3476 S Dodge Blvd, Suite 3
Tucson, AZ, 85713
[email=info@restocycle.com]info@restocycle.com

[/email]

[quote pid='3926' dateline='1496496505']
Ted, thank you very much for the nice endorsement, and it was nice working with you. I made an edit to what you posted as a result of some exciting news for us - we moved a month or so, into a much larger better space, and we are now back to full operations and things are great. 

I'd also be remiss if I did not point out that we offer FREE SHIPPING on our vapor blast work, and we are also happy to send customers inbound shipping labels for their projects too, and that usually cuts that cost in half. There is a lot more information about how that works on our website at www.restocycle.com or better yet, call or email me anytime to discuss your project - we are always happy to chat. Turnaround time is 2-3 days in shop. 

Nils Menten
RestoCycle LLC
3476 S Dodge Blvd., Suite 3
Tucson, AZ 85713
520-308-3705
www.restocycle.com
nils@restocycle.com

Thanks again Ted!
[/quote]
Hey, Nils! I hope you're well. I got the wheels painted and clear coated, I just haven't mounted the tires. The paint looks very good. Ted
(08-20-2017, 03:08 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Hey, Nils! I hope you're well. I got the wheels painted and clear coated, I just haven't mounted the tires. The paint looks very good. Ted

Excellent Ted, post a pic if you can!  I'd also be glad to learn the subtleties of painting that magnesium as you know them.
Noblehops, please edit your profile to reflect your real name, so we can answer your post! Thanks. Ted
(11-22-2017, 08:27 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Noblehops, please edit your profile to reflect your real name, so we can answer your post! Thanks. Ted

Got it Ted, just did. Thanks for the heads-up.
Hey, Nils. I'm in the dark on a good way to get paint to stick well to mag. I just get them clean and obtain a fresh surface, by getting the vapor-blast done, or a bead blast, wipe them down with degreaser, then use a GOOD self-etching primer as quickly as I can. Then a quality paint. It is even hard to get powder to stick well. I had the old Homelite saw/kart conversion blasted and powder coated back in Idaho, and the powder has flaked away in a couple of spots. I have no idea how well that powder guy did his prep work. The magnesium Go Power wheels on the n1ke were bead blasted, then hit within a few hours with Dupli Color self-etch primer. I then coated them with Dupli Color spray and gently baked them. The paint will still flake off before it will scratch. I don't know the answer for do-it-yourself. The new CT wheels on the Photon look nice, but the crud from the exhaust has already stained the inside of the right rear wheel. I did them in Rustoleum after calling their customer service department. I followed their advice to the letter.
Keep up the good work at Resto Cycle, Nils. You provide a really quality service for a good price, with a fast turnaround. Thanks! Ted

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I just had Nils at Resto Plating do a set of four Rupp wheels. I sent them in with paint on them. They came back perfect. At just over $30 each, with free return shipping, and a smooth, original finish I am very happy with them. I should point out he did these over the Holidays, and the total time was still less than a week!
Hi......
i am barath from india