Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's wrong with the Rupp J karts?
(05-17-2017, 10:10 PM)steve welte Wrote: I'd take that kart and clip the very front and weld in a new axle. to heck with being period correct. I'd always rather have a kart that works on the track than one that is correct but handles like junk. Anything can be fixed.

That's what a K model is its a J model with a chapperal front half
The Rupp Model J essentially was a one model year kart. Introduced in 1968 and replaced with the Model K in 1969. Rupp produced several models: Enduro / Sprint, dual and single, rear engine (American) and foreign (sidewinder).

I took a 3D Image of a Model J at a vintage kart play day at Fremont Raceway Park, Fremont, Ohio. He is a youngster and obtained parts mainly to get the kart running and have FUN with it. He has a dual foreign sprint chassis and has it set up running a rear engine WB820.

PHOTO - Link to 3D image...
https://fyu.se/v/8nn53pywzt
I love to see some photos.

I wonder if there is an easier way to fix the problem short of a lot of welding.

Curious in Livermore......
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
Thanks Scott! That is a cool way to check it out?
Scott E, nice "3D" photo.  Now I understand.  Beautiful kart, too, obviously put together by someone who knows what they're doing.

Looks like those stub axles can't really move much.  There's probably rubber bushings at the attachments, and I'm guessing that's enough to wreck the handling.  If so, maybe replacing the rubber bushings with metal would help.

Oh well, at the start of this thread I assumed that Blaine already owned a J and was wondering why no love.
I wish I had one, but just a curious bystander right now...
I don't know how many engineering teams have come up with ideas for suspended karts. I don't remember any of them winning major championship events in "vintage" days. Seems that the clean, simple designs have always been the best, as well as being lighter, cheaper and easier to maintain. TJ
A few years back in the spring, there was a true international vintage kart event in Ipswich, Queensland, Australia. Truly a remarkable show with karts from factory museums and private collectors in Italy and Brazil. 

There was a Dap(?) kart from the Italian collection, that featured a front suspension system kart. It was immediately banned by the karting organization--feeling that it departed too much away what a kart should be.

I'll look for and try to locate.

Courtesy and photo by Allan King, Australia.

Bug once built a beautiful suspended kart for Jilene Chivell. I don't know how it handled, but it looked great! TJ

BBomb Mike Schlager has a couple of them, the foreign version with 2 bombs (wild ride) and I think he has an enduro or american version. He replaced the flex bushings in the front and maybe in the rear with solid bushings and it made a big difference in handling but it is still a handfull. I drove it before and with the 2 bombs you just have to basically point it and shoot, it stops your heart for a second. Super cool to look at and fun to drive but not competitive. Mike also told me that Rupp used some funky tubing for those that didn't weld very well and broke easy so if you get one watch out for cracks.
That is all I know.