Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern wheels
Looking for opinions on the modern wheels that are available that can be used on a vintage kart. I see van k's and Douglas wheels. I was looking to get the Azusa Tri stars but after looking at some of the modern wheels I'm reconsidering.

Thanks
Brad
Brad, tri stars except for some mold changes are the same wheel that has been available since the 60's. so they are considered vintage correct. they are also a reasonably priced wheel .

the van k's and douglas aren't era correct for anything except sidewinder.
so if you are building a era correct kart go with the tristars.
to me using spun rims on older karts is ugly anyway but that's just my opinion.

also there are repops availble for rear engined karts and margay star rims are considered "correct" for about anything but dead axle karts.
of course there is no rule against spun rims being used they just look funny on most every rear engined kart to me.

Cool
Dave L.
Thanks for your input Dave!
I agree! The Van k's and the Douglas style rims don't seem at home on a rear kart. I'm going with the Tri stars then. For the price and era correct it makes sense.

Brad
Brad,

The thing about the Tri Stars is that they are period correct for rear engine karts, and they are reasonably priced.  Again, I like the 4"/5" combination as it looks more retro to me.

You can always upgrade your wheels later, and Tri Stars always sell well on Ebay.

After you've got some time under your belt in this vintage karting arena and have attended some events, you'll be able to figure out if you really do want something else.  I have discovered that many of the things I chose early in my vintage karting activity I no longer want, so this is really kind of normal.

Reproduction Go Power wheels are available as are CT Alloy wheels.  And again, the Margay series 24 wheels are good looking and popular, and readily available.

You will spend around $75 to $100 per wheel for these upgrade wheels.

So, it's a safe bet to go with the Tri Stars to start with, and then figure out if and what you may really want later - including just sticking with the Tri Stars.

Best regards,

Jim Waltz
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
Although Van-K wheels are more at home on sidewinders, it may seem hard to believe but they were actually standard issue on the Rupp Super Dart rear engine kart.
(04-22-2017, 06:53 AM)Alan E. Lidke Wrote: Although Van-K wheels are more at home on sidewinders, it may seem hard to believe but they were actually standard issue on the Rupp Super Dart rear engine kart.

Alan, Would the Rupp Super Dart be the kart Robron produced for dirt oval track racing, I think in the early 1970s?
Scott, exact manufacturing date of the SuperDart I am not exactly sure of but I'm thinking late '70's. But yeah, it's the model made for dirt ovals. I think the first year or so they did come with turbines too.
I came across this Karting Digest (September 1975) Robron ad with the "Super-Dart." The kart has the Grand Prix (Turbine) wheels. 

.jpg   PW KD 197509 07 RobRon.jpg (Size: 3.1 MB / Downloads: 15)
unfortunately that is one of the many thing that wasn't addressed early on,,,,modern wheels on rear karts , T just don't get it it.....but some of these guys that have to win.... take that route because of the weight savings,,,,

personally, I don't like it...buy thats as far as it goes...its a can of worms that would be all but impossible to control at this stage ..

I'm a MarGay 24 guy, still vintage, look cool as heck, and are readily avail....a little pricey if you want show quality stuff...but...mine are ""user"" friendly...meaning they may have a few dings from back in the day..
If you can find some Go Power rears, you can buy MATCO fronts at a decent price. They liik just like Scott W.'s repop Go Powers, except for the MATCO text on the rim. They come with good ball bearings. Here are the web pages for the front 4" and 5" wheels:
http://www.matcomfg.com/NosewheelAssemblies-tp2-6.html    Part No. WHLNW40EE
http://www.matcomfg.com/NosewheelAssembl...tml?Pos=18    Part No. WHLNW50CC
Of course, since MATCO wheels are for homebuilt aircraft, they don't have live axle wheels, so you'll have to find these. The MATCO's are very nice fronts at a fairly decent price. They're higher than Azusas, but they're nicer, and rounder. Ted