Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KALIFORNIA NYKE 1ST EDITION BUILD
Throttle linkage was quite a chore, both to get from the original pedals to the original cross shaft behind the seat, but up to the carb as well.  Note the positive forward and return throttle stop arrangement on the side of the frame, and the bellcrank affair and aluminum brackets (with fore/aft adjustment ability) to convert cross shaft rotation to cable push/pull to the carb.

It's amazing how much work this "small" part of the job actually takes.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
After the “go” comes the “whoa”, which in this case included a custom adaptation of an MCP brake system to the “bug” brake/bearing plate (one on each side of this kart intended for Palmini units) on that side of the kart…..

(The "Palmini Special" 2nd edition of this kart will sport dual Palmini hydraulic brake units, one on each side of the kart.)

And then there is the finished kart, as debuted at Adams 2017...

What I particularly like about this kart is its unique design, that it is period-correct (except for the brakes of course) and is like no other kart you will ever see at a vintage event.  I know that everyone likes the GK's, the Bugs and the Darts, but there are tons of those.  This is a one-of-a-kind (that is, until I get the 2nd edition, "Palmini Special" done - then they will be two-of-a-kind).

Ciao!

The kart looks great, Jim! Wish I could get a ride. Ted
Teddy,

We just need to get you over to Cali.

I promise to have the "Teddy Johnson Special" butterfly steering wheel on it by then.

Ciao!
Heck, Jim, with that wheel, I might just fit in there! Lord knows when Doc will let me run hard again. Ted
Teddy,

My hope is that the next few times you get on the track in a kart that you have a "shadow" trailing you to block any hot shots coming up from behind that may approach should you get weary or wobbly.

I think your buds can do that for you.........
Pruit is great at running with me. Only problem is that I'm usually chasing HIM! Rolleyes Ted
(07-04-2017, 08:49 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Pruit is great at running with me. Only problem is that I'm usually chasing HIM! Rolleyes Ted
That's very impolite of him.......
At least he is willing to "put up" with me on track! Ted