Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S.A.E. Karts (Solt Automotive Engineering)
S.A.E. past and present...

The Spider (Ad). The early days and it was complicated.

Very nice example of a early/mid 60s survivor SAE dual. (Elkes photo - 2012, Kartington Raceway). From the Nagel Family kart collection.

Many SAE karts were custom built to race the "Open Class" dirt track racing class. No weight limit and minimal rules for the engine(s). (Elkes photo - 2013, OVCA Swap Meet)

Jerry Solt working on Quentin Haines' SAE reproduction kart. (Elkes photo - 2014, REARs' TBO)
           Quentin last ran his #7 Kart at Adams, Riverside CA. seven years prior. The kart was apart. I told Q to bring the kart and I'll help wrench it and we'll get you on the track. A whole lot of wrenching, vintage community support for help, parts and speciality tools and Jerry Solt. My first drive in a SAE. 

And, why we vintage kart...

Karting World's S.A.E. Kart test report and some extras...

.pdf   KW 196302 SAE Test.pdf (Size: 21.71 MB / Downloads: 24)

"Jerry Solt: A Mind in Motion" by Quentin Haines (Manuscript. Printed in National Kart News (1998)) 

.pdf   Jerry Solt by Quentin Haines.pdf (Size: 8.53 MB / Downloads: 15)
Karting World - 1963 February

S.A.E. Kart test...

Karting World - 1965 April Ad...
S.A.E. not only sold karts, they sold manifolds...

Well, I'll add a couples of pics and some commentary.

Did you know that Solt Speedway is back open for business as of 2017?

Jerry built a dirt track years ago at his property outside Finday Ohio, but it has been inactive in recent years.  Jerry has an associate who has put it back in operation.

Learn more at https://www.soltspeedway.com/history/

I have posted 2 pictures.  The first is a shot of Jerry pulling a wheelie at the start of a race.  The second is me in my Dan Lotz SAE reproduction at Adams.

Jerry explained to me that his particular goal was to build a kart that could put power to the ground (especially as he seems to have favored dirt track racing).  He explained to me one day that at one race he was unable to qualify, so he had to start at the back of the grid.  His kart, however, was so good at putting the power down that he said that at the start of the race he was in first place before they even got to the first turn.

My SAE.  I had the privilege of meeting Dan Lotz at Adams the year before he died.  He explained to me that Jerry actually gave him permission to build replicas, and even helped him bend up tubing, etc., for his first replicas.

Curiously, I asked Jerry about this later and he explained to me with a chuckle that if he had realized how many replicas Dan was going to make, he might not have been quite so helpful.

Given the scarcity of surviving original SAE's I guess I'm kind of glad that Jerry was so generous.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
Just passing the word, Jerry Solt has Passed way.

https://www.hannemanfuneralhomes.com/obi...Jerry-Solt