Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BALL-HEX STARTER ADAPTER/REPAIR TIPS
Bumped on 3/28/18.  Will be doing a run of these parts by the end of April, so they will be available again.  I had sold all that I had made, and with moving my home had not had a chance to replenish stock.  If you haven't tried one of these, they make using a "plug-in" starter way easier (so your significant other will be happy to help with getting you out on the track).

Just added this to the part of the forum where vintage karting suppliers list their stuff.

These used to be available from TS Racing and others some years ago, but can't be found at present. So, I made up some tooling and can now produce these. As you can see in the photos, it is basically a short cylinder that has a 5/16 hex hole down the middle, with 4 set screw locations, and a Bondhus hex tip cut off to fit. Cylinder will last forever. Replacement Bondhus tips can be bought from many places. I do keep a bit of graphite grease on the tip as this service was not what Bondhus had in mind for their bits.  Also check starter nut before use.  Worn or miss-manufactured starter nuts will damage the ball hex bit.  $35 including postage if you are interested.  BTW, this price barely pays me for labor to do the machining - and is about what I paid 10+ years ago to buy one.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
(03-19-2017, 04:42 PM)Jim Waltz Wrote: Just added this to the part of the forum where vintge karting suppliers list their stuff.

These used to be available from TS Racing and others some years ago, but can't be found at present. So, I made up some tooling and can now produce these. As you can see in the photos, it is basically a short cylinder that has a 5/16 hex hole down the middle, with 4 set screw locations, and a Bondhus hex tip cut off to fit. Cylinder will last forever. Replacement Bondhus tips can be bought from many places. $35 including postage if you are interested.  BTW, this price barely pays me for labor to do the machining - and is what I paid about 6 years ago to buy one.

I have one of these. They work great!
Sold what I had, new batch in the works.
Bump. Just had an inquiry, so this will help them find the info.....
jim, not too long ago i sold the last 2 i had. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RACING-G...SwU8hY5Spp

they were made by blue river tool company wisconsin. they applied for a patent. don't know if it was ever granted. maybe they went out of business befor the patent process was completed. but i can't believe they have all disappeared. there has got to be a stash of them somewhere in wisconsin.
Chuck,

You're not trying to sink my little enterprise, now are you?

The units you're referring to are the same as the one I bought many years ago (through APS, I believe).

The very few I have seen around in recent times go for about the same as I am charging for the ones I am making now.

I would never have gotten into this if someone was still making them - which they are not.  I needed some, and decided to come up with an equivalent design, and I then also made up tooling to make them consistent and to economize a little on my labor.

Sell all you can find, Chuck.  They will eventually all be gone, whereas my supply will go on forever (as long as I am breathing).

Ciao!
Bump!
Bump.

I am planning to do a run of these parts about the end of April, so they will be available again.
Bump, Bump! Ain't gonna bump no mo wid no big fat woooman! Wink  Ted
I have always thought of you as being kind of "bumpy"........