Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1961 Dart A-Bone Survivor (lost post) - Brian Santee
Hello Brian Santee: 

Nice 1961 Dart Kart A-Bone Survivor thread from the old Vintage Kart Forum. It would be enjoyable to see again. Any chance to recover that one? 

I will see what I can locate and revive here soon. Thanks for the lead Scott.
(03-14-2017, 11:22 AM)Scott elkes Wrote: Hello Brian Santee: 

Nice 1961 Dart Kart A-Bone Survivor thread from the old Vintage Kart Forum. It would be enjoyable to see again. Any chance to recover that one? 
Here is the link to that thread. I don't believe the images will come up, but the entire discussion thread is there. Copy it below and paste it into your search engine....

http://www.briansantee.com/vintage/www.v...orum_id=28
(03-18-2017, 01:58 AM)Vince Rosanelli Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 11:22 AM)Scott elkes Wrote: Hello Brian Santee: 

Here is the link to that thread. I don't believe the images will come up, but the entire discussion thread is there. Copy it below and paste it into your search engine....

http://www.briansantee.com/vintage/www.v...orum_id=28

That is the post! Kudos!

Picture of the 1/2" steering shaft safety comment that was in the original thread. I'll see If I did a frame grab of the 61 Dart Kart A-Bone barn find.

Found the 1962 A-Bone exploded view mentioned in this thread--documentation verifying pre-1962 Dart.

That is awesome Scott! Too bad we don't have the parts list for that, but it is still very helpful.
I thought I would include a few photos of the one we put together for my son. It is a blue metalflake but it is hard to see that with the lighting I have. Just a Briggs on it for now until he knows what he is doing...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[attachment=961 Wrote:Blaine Krugerud pid='2744' dateline='1490909157']I thought I would include a few photos of the one we put together for my son. It is a blue metalflake but it is hard to see that with the lighting I have. Just a Briggs on it for now until he knows what he is doing...

Hi Blaine,

I looked at your pictures closely. I'm pretty sure you have a 1963 Dart Kart Grand Prix (dual) seeing the medallion on the Nassau Panel, 4" Grand Prix wheels and no front bumper. If the floor, seat bottom and seat back pan is aluminum and secured with rivets--it's a Grand Prix. If it is welded steel pan, likely it is a replacement. 
(Added later: I just noticed the steering shaft. It is a half inch diameter, thus a very early production kart, most likely the first shipment to dealers then switching over to 5/8" diameter to meet the updated IKF rule requirement.)

The 1963 GP was a new model and Rupp's new top of the line kart and lightest they ever produced. 

I spotted this 1963 GP at Fremont, Ohio last summer (2016). It is a survivor with new paint and on it's third aluminum pan. Upholstery is original with a small undetectable repair, no question when I sat in it, exactly the right feel!

This kart has the 5/8" diameter. (My 63 was 1/2" and was changed to 5/8" when damaged in a flip in 1964 so I could race IKF in 1965.)

Thanks Scott!

When I bought the kart it was in somewhat rough shape. The seat was gone, the medallion was gone, and the belly pan was pretty beat up. The belly pan had been welded in, but after sending photos to Robert Stanton and talking it over with him, he felt strongly that it was a GP and not an A Bone. I still ordered a new steel belly pan for it to restore it to the way I received it however. I also bought a new medallion from him along with a few other parts. Instead of having him destroy a new seat, I decided to put the seat I had left over from the 65 GP that I put together already. I do have an engine to put on it later when he grows up a bit, but this will get him used to running a kart around. Even with a 5HP Briggs it is still pretty quick.

I plan on getting the outer rims rechromed someday, but over all I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Smile