Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1977 Margay Panther X build thread
Vico.....here's my Margay and it had a Tator Power Plant on it when I made the purchase.....it's a Pro X model .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nice kart, Randy! What motor do you have on it now?

Vico
Vico......no engine at present, most likely a Mac saw engine converted or maybe one of my WB 820's .

I just got this Bug ....so it will get my Bonbright  820 WB most likely .

I love that 820 on the yellow bug.

So shiny!

But I think a saw motor on one would be interesting, considering that you already have one with an 820.

Vico

Also, Ted:

1. There are known shrinkage constants for each metal you cast. We adjust the size of the 3D print to compensate for that constant.

2. I have a Formlabs 2 3D printer and castable burnout resin.

3. We (dad and I) print with a .stl file.

4. It's usually about 100 dollars of time and material to make the printed burn-out plug, and another 200-300 dollars to create the plaster casting mold and to cast the part in metal.

Alternately, you can submit .stl files to shapeways.com for metal sintering. About the same price, but requires more hand finishing and polishing upon receipt.
I have the kart nearly completely ready to go on the track, I need to check tire pressure (I'll have to get a measuring gauge, I only have a bike pump) and I put one of the front tires on backward, but got it fixed. Chain is on, seat is attached, motor fastened down, throttle cable and fuel hose attached, and the only thing that isn't done is putting the chai guard on, and coming to my senses that this is actually happening. Smile

Well.. unfortunately, New Castle is now over. For a first time event, it's been a blast to meet all the people Ive talked to on the forum. Honorable mentions are: Jeff Brown, David Lucani, Troy Brown, Romero (can't figure out exactly how to spell your last name and didn't want to offend you,) Dennis (never got your last name,) Steve and Shawn Welte, and MANY, MANY more. If I forgot your name, please comment so you can be heard, too.

I walked to the motel Thursday with an award of my own, and am honored to be given this.

The kart was perfect. Engine never let me down.

Also..

On Thursday, my dad finally stated he was jealous I was having all the fun. Now I have a Mk.3 Cheetah that's coming home. Technically, I'm "Leasing" the kart, so after the restoration is done, I'll give it back to the owner. The motor is an Mc91. It has a Savin "Adios" pipe on it, Twin carbs, and man, is it cool! I'm thinking a bright lime metallic green with black chrome..

Thank you, Mike, and thank you all who have supported me all this way.

The VKA website is down, so don't know which event is next? I thought Brodhead was next?

Vico

Vico. Congratulations on attending this event! We have a great group of guys who will help out for the sake of this hobby.

I've been watching everything your'e working on and I hope you stick with us!

Sam
Sam:

I need brightwork! Lots of it, too. I hope you may be able to do a bit more for me than burnishing some parts..?

I've been watching your Express build, and it's CLEAN with the Mac yellow!!

Vico
Vico.......can you let us know the story regarding your receiving the "Ingels Borelli" award ?

Very nice recognition by the way and your first Vintage racing /driving experience......kind of like going to Indy
and qualifying .....quite gratifying !

I saw where your dad was interviewed and he was very proud of what you have accomplished......maybe he will
decide to build a vintage machine in time so he can also participate.

At least he was there to see why we love our Vintage Race Karts......some folks love it and others just enjoy sharing our
excitement . Smile
I think we've got something stirring in the pot for my father. Been in contact with a good friend looking for a kart to share between them.

On Thursday when I had finished eating, they finally started some of the awards, and one of the first thing Mr. Brown said was something along these lines:

"I would like to take special recognition of a young man who has come here from Kansas with his father to be at this even, and he's right in front of me."

He then signaled for me to come up and get my picture, so I did.

Later, Mr. Brown asked the audience if they had anything to say, so my dad got up and gave his speech.