Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1977 Margay Panther X build thread
Today, I worked on the steering wheel, yesterday I sold the butterfly to my friend for 35 dollars, and when I bought the kart it came with a full circle steering wheel, which I like more.

Anyways, the more important thing I did today, was I changed the pedal length. The previous owner made custom pedal shorteners which are perfect for me. I got the brake hooked up, but when it came to the throttle linkage, the shortened arm hasn't not been the threaded to accommodate the "U" shaped piece that connects to the pedal.

Sterling Brundick helped me out today, helping me with the motor mount. I need two other metal plates to work with the third bearing support.

That's it for today, and possible for awhile, as I start school tomorrow, and my English/social studies teacher loves homework.

Thank you for reading!

Vico

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Lots of progress on the kart yesterday. 

I got the parts back from Sam Thursday night. 

Vern Bergman sent me some motor mount parts which is awesome because now I can put the motor on correctly. 

Yesterday the pedals, brakes, and I worked on the throttle cable but failed on that for now.

I'll update soon when I have more progress.

I haven't been working on too much lately, just waiting for my mom to order the tires and work on some carb stuff. Thinking about sending the engine out to be checked out, because it's so hard to turn in afraid it'll blow up when I start it. Most likely sending to Jeff Brown before new castle to make sure everything is ok. Sterling Brundick has been a huge help with info etc that I needed.

Sooooo... yeah.. that's about it!

Still waiting.. still waiting.

Parts.. parts.. parts..

BUT!

I needed a velocity stack and to hold the throttle cable in place.

So I designed one, and now I have a 3D prototype.

Nice design on the velocity stack!  Just an FYI though, I got one of these throttle hookups from Comet Kart Sales:

I thought about those, but I wanted to replicate the air filter part on my big bore Mcculloch carb, because I think it gives a nice look.

Sweet dart by the way, I've always wanted an a-bone with turbines and a custom set up for triple engines, because why not right?

Vico
Vico, nice prototype, but how were you going to turn it into aluminum? That'd be one expensive machined part. If you decide you want the throttle cable holder like Comet sells, PM me your address and I'll send you one that's similar, but a little shorter so you use the smaller cable pull on the throttle shaft. I had a bunch of them water jet cut, but there are several left out in the shop. You get to sand the edges, but they end up nicer than the factory holders. I'm using mine on all my carbs now. Ted
Thanks Ted! I won't be machining it but casting it out of brass. A 3D print material is made for casting so I'll use that.

Also if I ever do need one of those holders like comet I'll PM you. Thank you for the generous offer!

Vico
You're welcome to it, Vico. Explain your brass casting process, please. How do you account for shrinkage? Do you have a 3D printer, or just have access to one? Does the unit require a .stl file, or a file in a different format? I would like to get a couple of intake manifolds cast in aluminum if the cost weren't astronomical. I can pretty much design anything on Pro/Engineer Wildfire. Thanks. Ted
(05-26-2017, 07:37 PM)ted johnson Wrote: You're welcome to it, Vico. Explain your brass casting process, please. How do you account for shrinkage? Do you have a 3D printer, or just have access to one? Does the unit require a .stl file, or a file in a different format? I would like to get a couple of intake manifolds cast in aluminum if the cost weren't astronomical. I can pretty much design anything on Pro/Engineer Wildfire. Thanks. Ted

don't know all these questions but will get back to you in a day or two with all the questions. I'm at my grandma's, but i can ask my dad soon.

Vico