Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1977 Margay Panther X build thread
i am very new to vintage karting, even though i manage to have two mcculloch engines..

anyways, this is my journey/build on my Margay Panther X. someday it will be red, and not look so beat up, but for now, based on a lot of help from some really cool people on the original forum, this is my plan:

1: get my kart back!! i haven't seen it in about six months! its at a local kart shop. Undecided

2: i need to check the frame for things it needs. i also need to find a way to attach the motor mount, i need to get a gas tank (the metal tank!), throttle cable, chain, and some stuff I'm forgetting.

3: after the motor is hooked up, i need to fire it up. to be honest I've been dreading that day because blowing a motor up was not on my priorities..

4: if all goes well, i need to hook up the clutch, chain (i don't know what size!), and throttle cable. OH! i almost forgot, id like to get a sloper manifold.. the late manifold won't take a Tilly HL, and i like the slopers.

5: sadly, the only place that will let me run a vintage kart is all the way out to Quincy. I'm in KS.. but i should be able to run my kart!

6: after that, it'll be time to take everything apart. then powder coat, ball burnishing, chroming, and fixing.

7: then re-assembly, and that'll be it!!!

i hope you follow me along with my build. ill definitely ask questions.

i should have the kart tonight, then ill update then.

thanks!

Vico.
Probabaly 20 mins ago my dad brought the kart back! I already have the motor mount + motor, and the seat mocked. Unfortunately it was cut short due to my having to leave. I should be back Monday with updates. 

Vico.

An additional picture showing the motor mocked up with the 3rd bearing support.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looks like a Tator plow motor lurking.....glad you are working on the Smoker motor attachment......we all know
the feeling of our prized power plants taking leave of their inner selves ......but  that is why you learn how to do
the building and maintenance......peace of mind.....but sometimes it just happens....part of the game.....

(03-11-2017, 02:46 PM)Y  Randy Dacus Wrote: Looks like a Tator plow motor lurking.....glad you are working on the Smoker motor attachment......we all know
the feeling of our prized power plants taking leave of their inner selves ......but  that is why you learn how to do
the building and maintenance......peace of mind.....but sometimes it just happens....part of the game.....

Randy: 

I appreciate the words and you feeling my pain!

Vico.

I haven't showed my newest engine yet, so i'll share now.

this is the MC93 i got from Scott Kneisel, nearly all NOS parts, stock bore and ports.

EDIT: the picture wont show up for some reason, i will work on that.
I got it!

Vico......nice Smile  !

Here's my latest.....!

It's a bit stiff in the turns and pushes.....but  it's good down the straightaway ......and the brakes keep fading.....Hee !

Cool

(03-11-2017, 09:07 PM)Randy Dacus Wrote: Vico......nice Smile  !

Here's my latest.....!

It's a bit stiff in the turns and pushes.....but  it's good down the straightaway ......and the brakes keep fading.....Hee !

Cool

Randy:

I'm sure it does good at spinning the tires!  Smile

Vico
Sorry for no update.. it has been too cold lately for me to work, and i don't have a heated garage.

Anyways, today has been a good day for progress. I've been mounting the seat, and got it 3/4 done. the seat is odd so i need to finish fastening it with the longer bolt. i am missing some parts so once i get those It'll be done.

Next i need to mount the motor mount to the frame. unfortunately there is no kind of instructions and it didn't come with any kind of mount bolts or plates to clamp the motor mount.

i need help figuring out how to mount it to the frame rails, and just for you knowing, the frame rails are not round tubing, but more rectangular shape. i will provide pictures.

have a nice day!

Vico
(03-16-2017, 08:47 PM)Ludovico Prelogar Wrote: Sorry for no update.. it has been too cold lately for me to work, and i don't have a heated garage.

Anyways, today has been a good day for progress. I've been mounting the seat, and got it 3/4 done. the seat is odd so i need to finish fastening it with the longer bolt. i am missing some parts so once i get those It'll be done.

Next i need to mount the motor mount to the frame. unfortunately there is no kind of instructions and it didn't come with any kind of mount bolts or plates to clamp the motor mount.

i need help figuring out how to mount it to the frame rails, and just for you knowing, the frame rails are not round tubing, but more rectangular shape. i will provide pictures.

have a nice day!

Vico

Well, I now have a goal! I hope I can get the kart running and driving, doesn't have to be pretty but i just want it running and driving for June at New Castle. I've  been in contact with Jeff Brown, and he said just show up and he would have a kart for me, but in case he can't find a kart, I hope I can register in and run my kart. Of course if Jeff has a kart for me, then I will use the kart he has provided. My kart is a just in case.

I would like to give a huge thanks to Jeff for what he has offered me, just talking to him makes me feel like I'm talking to a billionaire. But I guess he is one of the billionaires of the karting world.

Have a nice night!

Vico