Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gear box post by Scott Elkes (swiped from facebook)
Scott Elkes uploaded a file in the group: British Historic Kart Club.
3 hrs ·

I thought you chaps with the USA brand karts like a look at gearboxes (single speed) that were available in the 1960s in the USA.
(Note: I have placed a variety of scanned documents--tech items, personalities, major race events--in the "Files" tab at Facebook "Vintage Kart Club of America (VKCA) if you want to see more.)
Update to Gear Box Stuff (USA)—neat addition.
There seems before there was Dyna Drive, Helix, Margay gearboxes, there was “Torque Drive!”
Anyone out there with a vintage Torque Drive? Or raced using the Torque Drive?
Scott Elkes
18-February-2017
Previous...
I have several Brazilian vintage kart friends wanting to learn more about the gear boxes used in the middle 1960s in the USA. I provided photos, ads, and did my best to describe the internals, how gear ratios were changed, along with the Pros and Cons between the brands. With the help of Jack Meeker we located Karting World's Dyna-drive and Margay (Mar-Kart) Tech Review articles. I received the scanned articles in the eMail today and prepared this PDF file.
Scott Elkes
30-January-2016
(Key word search reference: Dyna-drive, Pro, Helix, Margay (Mar-Kart) gear boxes, Torque Drive)

.pdf   Gear Box Stuff Update.pdf (Size: 17.73 MB / Downloads: 44)
Dave L.
(02-18-2017, 12:07 PM)David Luciani Wrote: Scott Elkes uploaded a file in the group: British Historic Kart Club.
3 hrs ·

I thought you chaps with the USA brand karts like a look at gearboxes (single speed) that were available in the 1960s in the USA.
(Note: I have placed a variety of scanned documents--tech items, personalities, major race events--in the "Files" tab at Facebook "Vintage Kart Club of America (VKCA) if you want to see more.)
Update to Gear Box Stuff (USA)—neat addition.
There seems before there was Dyna Drive, Helix, Margay gearboxes, there was “Torque Drive!”
Anyone out there with a vintage Torque Drive? Or raced using the Torque Drive?
Scott Elkes
18-February-2017
Previous...
I have several Brazilian vintage kart friends wanting to learn more about the gear boxes used in the middle 1960s in the USA. I provided photos, ads, and did my best to describe the internals, how gear ratios were changed, along with the Pros and Cons between the brands. With the help of Jack Meeker we located Karting World's Dyna-drive and Margay (Mar-Kart) Tech Review articles. I received the scanned articles in the eMail today and prepared this PDF file.
Scott Elkes
30-January-2016
(Key word search reference: Dyna-drive, Pro, Helix, Margay (Mar-Kart) gear boxes, Torque Drive)
We ran Helix gearboxes when they first came out. The fact that they were without clutch didn't bother Pop or me, as we only ran direct drive anyhow. The Helix was strong, quiet and smooth. I ran them for three seasons, until I quit karting in '64, without failure. My pal, Charlie, bought a very early Margay box, and still runs it on his Bug Scorpion/Mc101D. It has never given an ounce of trouble, except when he sheared an axle key at Fremont a couple years ago. He runs it with an early Max Torque clutch. Ted
(02-18-2017, 01:05 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Hi Ted, 1st reply post. Not sure I'm in the right spot. I've learned since the Helix gears were cut differently than the Dyna Drive (something I was always curious about back then and now) so the gears are not interchangeable for those who may want to know. I switched to a gearbox after blowing a clutch costing me a Championship AND getting hit by shrapnel. I went direct drive with a Dyna Drive gearbox. At the start, the crank gear broke on two different occasions. The problem ended by very lightly torquing down the lock nut and filing the key faces (top and sides) to reduce interference into the gear slot. Bullet-proof from then on.
(02-19-2017, 12:30 PM)ted johnson Wrote: The Helix gears were helical cut instead of straight cut. Straight cut gears are noisier, but do not produce thrust loads axial to the gear shaft. Straight cut gears are much cheaper to make. Helical teeth are stronger, as there is more tooth in contact, but those pesky axial loads must be accounted for. The lack of axial loads is the main reason that race transmissions use straight cut gears. The straight cut gears in the Halibrand quick-change rear ends were supposedly the inspiration for the Margay gear change setup-a much more important factor in the days of serious kart racing than in today's exhibition racing and fun running. Sure is easier to clean up a gearbox kart than one with a chain! Ted
I switched to margay gear boxes on all my karts
i'm running a duel and a single engine setup
i'm using new style maxtorque clutches in adkins wet housings
no chains to worry about
no sprockets to worry about
I just bring a quart of atf to the track and have fun
tk
GEARBOX