Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Right hand Macs
Need advice on whether Mac chainsaws with the starter on the right side are good candidates for conversion to kart engines. Thanks
I've done a couple of them. I'd have to look at the number of the saw to know what cc it was. Which ever sizes they were at the time I converted them over to kart use. However many of the saws don't always fit in a goo kart class engine size wise so you may want to select the correct saw. I do think one of the ones I did was 100cc.
I think only diff is side cover and flywheel has teeth on back ..the starter is gear driven and goes across front runs behind flywheel ..instead or direct to face flywheel ..
The saw i found is a 1959 Super 44-A. According to acresinternet it's 87cc or 5.3c.i. Has a Mac mag and Mac carb. I assume if used as a kart engine the starter would remain as is. Might look a little wierd.
The ones I did had the recoil dogs on the spyder of the clutch.
(02-05-2017, 06:07 PM)steve welte Wrote: The ones I did had the recoil dogs on the spyder of the clutch.

TIM,

as long as the s-44 has the a in there it's a great saw to kart motor conversion.
the a indicates the later version with the 1.5 stroke
SO BUY IT.
that'll make a legal historic mc10 clone.
s44a and s55a are the second best block to build a mc10 clone off of with not much work needed to build a runner.
the saw motor for a mc10 clone are the mc1-70 or mc1-80 they have 1.5 stroke and the slightly heavier crank wts.
the mc s-44a and mc s55a ALSO have a 1.5 stroke but slightly less wt. on the crank so the motor vibrates a tiny bit more.
as bought it'll convert to a nice kart motor by changing the piston to a thin ring adding a kart manifold and stuffer.
you'll have to grind a little off the head shroud the saw uses but it's not a huge job.

if you want to go further and  make a "Correct and Accurate" mc10 "early version" clone you'll need to find a d44 and rob the head and tin shroud and cast outer cover from it.
it's not a needed part of converting that saw into a legal historic motor more like cosmetic additions.
though the center plug head is a nice feature.

another good idea is to replace the early con rod with the newer mc91 con rod if you're gonna twist it hard.

if you want to make it fly you'll need to 9 port it and open up the exhaust ports. if you've never done it have someone who has skills do that part.

if you don't want the work contact me and set me up with who ever is selling i'd take it!!
Dave L.