Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BUSHNELL GEEZER NEWS DAY 2 - RACE DAY
UNLIKE THURSDAY, FRIDAY MORNING PRACTICE WAS MET WITH LIGHT WINDS AND SUNSHINE.  SMOKEY'S FIRST PRACTICE WAS REALLY INAUSPICIOUS.  I DEPARTED THE PITS (BARELY) AND PROCEEDED TO STALL OUT ON THE UPHILL OVERPASS FROM A REALLY OVER RICH CARB (COMPLETING PERHAPS AN ENTIRE 1/4 OF A LAP).  THE NEXT PRACTICE WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY, BUT AT A SNAIL'S PACE.

DESPITE SMILIN DAVE'S DISLIKE OF REPORTING RACE RESULTS, THERE ARE SOME NOTABLE RESULTS.   FIRST, NO ONE WON DUAL SIDEWINDER.  THERE WERE NO ENTRIES IN THE CLASS.  BUSHNELL IS A GREAT TRACK WITH 16 TURNS IN 2/3 OF A MILE.  WHEELING A PAIR OF B-BOMBS OR BM130'S AROUND THE TRACK WOULD BE EXHAUSTING.  NO ONE PUT THEIR BIG MONEY RIGS ON THE LINE ONLY TO BE COMPLETELY WORN OUT AT THE END OF EACH RACE.

THE YOUNG MAN IN JUNIORS WAS BOTH FIRST AND LAST.  HE WAS THE ONLY ENTRY IN JUNIORS.  THE IMPLICATIONS ARE RATHER CLEAR.

IN SPORTSMAN, THREE BRAVE SOULS DECIDED THEY WOULD RUN WITH SMOKEY IN HIS FIRST RACE SINCE 1974 (THEN C-OPEN TWIN B-BOMBS).   DESPITE SOME IMPROVEMENT IN THE MC40'S PERFORMANCE, THE OTHER SPORTSMAN DISAPPEARED IN THE DISTANCE AT NEAR LIGHT SPEED.  THE REAR 6.1S CAME ZIPPING BY AT WHAT SEEMED LIKE NO TIME AT ALL.  THE SPORTSMAN CAME BY SHORTLY THEREAFTER.  ONE UNFORTUNATE SPORTSMAN BADLY BENT A SPROCKET AND LOST A CHAIN SAVING ME FROM THE EXPECTED LAST PLACE FINISH.
HE WAS KIND ENOUGH TO LET OUR VISITOR FROM CANTON, OHIO (MY ORIGINAL HOME TOWN) RUN THE KART IN THE NEXT HEAT.

THE SECOND HEAT SAW SOME MORE IMPROVEMENT FROM THE MC40 (THE CYLINDER HEAT TEMP ACTUALLY GOT UP TO 190! A BIT SHORT OF A GOAL OF LOW TO MID 300S).  ONE OF OUR SPORTSMAN DIDN'T MAKE THE GRID.  IT TOOK LONGER FOR MOST OF THE FIELD TO BLOW BY ME.  ONE POOR SOUL BEAT A SPOCKET AND KICKED CHAIN PUTTING SMOKEY IN 2ND PLACE (REFERRED TO AS FIRST LOSER BY A FRIEND WITH HIGH STANDARDS).

BUTCH K HAD ENGINE TROUBLE IN +60 IN THE FIRST RACE AND REBOUNDED WITH A 2ND PLACE IN THE SECOND HEAT.  SON VINCE WAS ENTERED IN THE LARGEST CLASS (STOCK KT100 -13 ENTRIES).  UNFORTUNATELY, THE YOUNG WHIPERSNAPPER (A MERE 49 OR 50) PULLED A MUSCLE AND PASSED ON RACING TODAY.

CONCERN OVER POTENTIAL RAIN MOVED THE KART SHOW TO NOON TODAY.  THE FINAL HEAT IS SET FOR TOMORROW AT 9:30 AM!  I THINK THEY ARE TAKING BETS IN VEGAS OVER WHETHER OR NOT I CAN GET UP THAT EARLY.

SMOKEY
Blaine,
i have zero problems with racing results posted as you are doing.
the way you're reporting make people like me regret not being there myself.
making people wish they were there is the first and best way to promote any event.

in the past and now all we'd see is a list of racing results posted way after the event.
my concern was/is a simple race results sheet being posted and nothing else.
that gives zero local color and no sense of the weather who was there and other fun things.

i would LOVE to see more track side reporting done in your style.
so adding race results in your style is a great way to promote vintage karting.
i  encourage others to do the same.
Big Grin
Dave L.
I second that Dave! Great job Blaine! Very interesting, more like a story.
Great summary Blaine.  Makes for enjoyable reading and promotes the event as Dave said.  Thanks.  I wished I could have attended.
and can I add to that....

Dave , Tom,,,,,you could have been there...

and secondly...""Smokey"" is full of stories,,,,so he is very good at this,,,,,,LOL...but yes , I like it this way..its not all about results,,, its just as much about how you got there...I sure saw him smiling more than he usually does????

I make a motion Blaine goes to every event...do I hear a second???

gw
As the saying goes better to be last but not least......or something like that ..... Wink .

Now back to more stories and tales from vintageland......

As the saying goes better to be last but not least......or something like that ..... Wink .

Now back to more stories and tales from vintageland......
i wanted  to go have a kart built and ready for track time.
and its a really nice technical track.
sadly my sweetie has noticed my credit card bill and until it's paid off i'm grounded.
no worries it's getting done but not before b-ville.
am aiming for new castle as first event this year.

Cool
Dave L.
(01-29-2018, 11:06 PM)David Luciani Wrote: i wanted  to go have a kart built and ready for track time.
sadly my sweetie has noticed my credit card bill and until it's paid off i'm grounded.

Cool
  but of course two-three weeks in Key west is ok on the CC....

gotta get your priorities in lines,  well, maybe she does...LOL

gw
(01-29-2018, 11:06 PM)David Luciani Wrote: i wanted  to go have a kart built and ready for track time.

Cool

RIGP?
maybe rigp that's far away.
the keys was cash never a card.
the key west thing is essential to MY safe passage through the winter.
my sweetie gets GRUMPY as the winter grinds on and needs to be set in the sun for a week or so.
otherwise all sorts of bad things start happening after the first of the year.

i'm doing good on payback anyway.
started demanding my seniority is honored in the union so work has been pretty dense lately.
 plus sold a few fairly rare parts to a builder that will be installing them on restorations.
so after 60 years these parts will finally get put on a kart and used!!

Confused
Dave L.