Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brain teaser for GW
Item number 302585534362 on ebay is purported to be a MC30 single carb manifold.  This manifold appears to have reeds that are quite a bit better than the round 6 petal or pyramid 4 petal reeds that are suggested by the "gist" of the sportsman rear rules.  So two questions arise for our new rules guru.  First, is this really an OEM Mc 30 manifold?  Second, if it is Mcculloch original equipment, is it in or out for sportsman rear?

Smokey
I'm not gonna do this,,you want answers, go to the guidelines..or email one of the so called Rules Gurus..ther are no rules..they are guidelines...

gw

(01-01-2018, 03:33 PM)Blaine Young Wrote: Item number 302585534362 on ebay is purported to be a MC30 single carb manifold.  This manifold appears to have reeds that are quite a bit better than the round 6 petal or pyramid 4 petal reeds that are suggested by the "gist" of the sportsman rear rules.  So two questions arise for our new rules guru.  First, is this really an OEM Mc 30 manifold?  Second, if it is Mcculloch original equipment, is it in or out for sportsman rear?

Smokey

3. SPORTSMAN REAR Rear American engines; 8.2 c.i. (135cc) max displacement; WB-820 with 8.2 c.i. (135cc) max displacement must be industrial-type; McCullochs must be 6.1 c.i. (100cc) max displacement or saw blocks over 80cc. small single intake manifold allowed (WB V-reed, Homelite reed, Go Power reed, etc.). Manifold to have an HL bolt pattern. Single HL 1-inch maximum throttle bore carburetor Small Mac flat-back carb OK. Must have vintage-style dry clutch, box muffler and vintage tires. MC-91, 92 and 93 engines are allowed

3. SPORTSMAN REAR Rear American engines; 8.2 c.i. (135cc) max displacement; WB-820 with 8.2 c.i. (135cc) max displacement must be industrial-type; McCullochs must be 6.1 c.i. (100cc) max displacement or saw blocks over 80cc. small single intake manifold allowed (WB V-reed, Homelite reed, Go Power reed, etc.). Manifold to have an HL bolt pattern. Single HL 1-inch maximum throttle bore carburetor Small Mac flat-back carb OK. Must have vintage-style dry clutch, box muffler and vintage tires. MC-91, 92 and 93 engines are allowed
Right on Gary. There is a reason the guidelines are in place and at one point did not have these clarifications. I'm not on any rules committee, it's just that I've attended a lot of events where people interprate a small manifold as anything less than a V 12. Often a promoter doesn't want to deal with it because he doesn't want to be the bad guy in a situation and DQ anyone. The easy answer it seems, is to follow the guidelines, and then no one has to deal with any of the issues. My 2 cents which isn't worth a plug nickle.
YES, but it's fun to pester gw now that he is the Godzilla of vka.   I would really like to know if the manifold is what they originally put on the MC30 which preceded my vintage stint.

Smokey
Guys,

The manifold on ebay is a stock original Mc30 intake manifold. It is designed for early Mac engines with the combo reed valve/ piston port induction so it won't work with a motor that is 9 ported unless the third port passage in the manifold is blocked off or filled in. On paper it looks like a good manifold but they don't work very well no matter what you do with them because they are too tall and the long intake tract kills off the top end. If I were the tech guy at an event I would allow it in the Sportsman class for the simple reason that it is not a performance boosting part compared to the other manifolds allowed in the class.
Steve O'Hara
Blaine...

pester me,,trust me,I have enough people pestering me,,some fun,,,some not so much...

I mean it pretty obvious that manifold would not raise any red flags...

beside you've bought 80% of all the kart related stuff on ebay for the last couple years,,,my guess is you have plenty of parts to make karts for what ever class you want to run...which brings up a question,,are you finally gonna get in a kart this year,,,could be fun, be careful...
Guidelines say single HL Carb Small Flarback Mac ok.
Gary

My wallet says it's more like 95% of ebay.  Butch K and I are planning an assault on Bushnell and Barnesville.  HOPEFULLY, I will be running around both tracks this time.  Butch will be out front and I will barely be able to outrun the rental karts.

Smokey
(01-02-2018, 09:34 AM)Blaine Young Wrote: Gary

My wallet says it's more like 95% of ebay.  Butch K and I are planning an assault on Bushnell and Barnesville.  HOPEFULLY, I will be running around both tracks this time.  Butch will be out front and I will barely be able to outrun the rental karts.

Smokey

Just follow Butch right up through there.....
Blaine, You can run that manifold in Sportsman, 1 inch maximum throttle bore carburetor, that is the limiting factor. I am on the guidelines committee. Like Gary said, they are only guidelines. Go and have some fun, don't worry about what the guy in front or behind you is running.