Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BDC16 Needle
My BDC16 has a brass inlet needle and at idle it seems to be leaking by. It constantly drips fuel from the check valve into the bore. I have reset the the fulcrum level below the body and it still drips making idle impossible. Any fixes?

Tom
(10-10-2017, 09:30 AM)tom dandes Wrote: My BDC16 has a brass inlet needle and at idle it seems to be leaking by. It constantly drips fuel from the check valve into the bore. I have reset the the fulcrum level below the body and it still drips making idle impossible. Any fixes?

Tom

You could try using some valve grinding compound and lap the needle into the seat. I have never tried it.
Lapping the needle and seat looks to be the next move. Right now it leaks by at 7 psi enough to cause the engine to flood no matter how you set the fulcrum lever. At this point I've nothing to lose and I'll fix it or ruin it.  

Tom
Lapping won't hurt it. Let us know how that works Tom.
(10-11-2017, 08:54 AM)Tom Day Wrote: Lapping won't hurt it. Let us know how that works Tom.

I'm thinking that since it's a brass needle I might get away with using something like chrome polish or braso to lap the needle to the set. lapping compound would be to harsh.
don't use lapping compound too rough.
common tooth paste will work fine.
takes a while but the results are usually acceptable.
got the tip from steve ohara i believe.
Cool
Dave L.
(10-11-2017, 08:51 PM)David Luciani Wrote: don't use lapping compound too rough.
common tooth paste will work fine.
takes a while but the results are usually acceptable.
got the tip from steve ohara i believe.
Cool

I was using some brasso last night and it is better but still not right. I took a bluing of the needle and seat and it showed that the seating area was almost at the top so there is not much room to work with. I'm not done with this one yet....

Interesting note: I had just rebuilt the Eldelbrock carburetor on the wife's mustang and the kit had two different types of needles. One on them was almost the same as the BDC16. Same length and the top was correct. I put it in the lathe and turned it down to the correct diameter and narrowed the stem at the top. It fit and now the pop of is 12psi but erratic. It still needs more work to make it right but I think it maybe a work around. I just wish now I hadn't got ride of the mini lathe.
Well I had to give up on the carb fixes. I started the kart yesterday and it was running really ruff and then would die. I thought it was the carb so swapped it out for one that I know works and I got the same thing. 

3 plugs later same issue. I pulled the ignition module out and reinstalled the points because spark was erratic and I got the same results. Finally it died completely. 

I pulled the coil and ran a check. It's dead! It's really strange because I've never had a coil die like this. Could the ignition module cause this?