Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update with Brian Sheridan
Many of you know Brian Sheridan, racer, manufacturer, engineer, vintage kart restorer  .

Every now and then he calls to update me on his latest project, so a few days ago out of the blue I get this hey buddy call.... Big Grin  .

Back in January just before the race at the Adams Track in Riverside, Brian was restoring a Kurtis Kart .

I've forgotten all the details, but some pictures were posted on the Forum and a discussion on the early Kurtis Karts
began, Tom Smith noted there was an oldie on craigslist for sale near me in Sacramento .

I searched for it, but for some reason the listing disappeared, reappeared, long story short we finally made contact with the seller . Brian thought there was something unique about this Kurtis, it just looked like an old quarter midget chassis
that had seen better days to me, but Brian wanted it and so with help from Terry Ives, Tom Kelley and myself a deal was made !

After discussing the details with the Kurtis family, it has been determined this particular Kart may have been an early prototype, Brian thinks it was the third one they fabricated up as a kart chassis .

After many hours of restoration the Kurtis is almost finished.....he had it out for display at Sugar River, along with
his other Kurtis and Hell Cat Kart .

Steve Welte has been doing interviews and posting video on his You Tube channel so here's a link to check out
when he caught up with Brian :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvvuahQ8EmM

In the video Steve didn't show us any pictures of Brian's restoration Kurtis under the tarp......I'll update when there's more progress .

You'll notice the condition as found and delivered by Terry at Riverside, anyway enjoy the video and Steve's chat with Brian .....plus there's more interviews with other vintage guys !

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Curious.  Was this a restoration or a reproduction?  Bare chassis looks like all new material.  ???
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
(08-06-2017, 04:23 PM)Jim Waltz Wrote: Curious.  Was this a restoration or a reproduction?  Bare chassis looks like all new material.  ???

that was the kurtis i brought back from adams
tk
GEARBOX
Jim...restoration, Brian had to replace some tube in the rear under the engine mounts but everything else was stripped
down for welding and powder coat .

The original tubing used was not very heavy walled, so over the years there was some corrosion inside .

The Kurtis Kart is going to the museum along side the famous Kurtis Indy car......at the Indy Speedway .

Even the wheels on it were original, Brian's searching to find some era correct knobby tires, he also replicated a correct steering wheel, so it will appear to be as it was when new .

He was able to get accurate details from the Kurtis son who did the original welding on this very kart, they were amazed to know this prototype survived .

When the Kurtis factory went into bankruptcy, another story which involved another famous engine manufacturer that
I'm not to elaborate on in public, we believe most of the prototype vehicles were cut up , so how this one survived is
something that maybe lost to history .

Notice the NOS quarter midget power plant, when finally finished it will be a nice piece of Kurtis Kraft history, as well as Vintage Karting's beginnings.

Remember Art Ingels was building race cars at Kurtis Kraft when he fabricated his original little car / cart .

The blue production Kurtis image is I believe the kart that Brian first purchased and restored......but I'm not positive,
as I have a few images in my archives ?  The other image is one of the half midgets they produced .

Here's a picture of Chuck Lipka and Tom Kelley at Adams, the guys that made the long haul out and back....as a bonus they brought my Welte 68 Bug to me Big Grin

glad you enjoyed the video. It is one way for so many people get to see things like this. Not only here but on You tube.
Thank you Steve for your contributions to Vintage Motor-racing  .....actually the whole Welte family .....Sandy and Shawn too !

In fact if Steve had not given me the opportunity to purchase the 68-69 Bug that he and Shawn restored, raced and
shown.....this whole Kurtis deal might not have worked out to get Brian his kart .  

That's why Vintage Karting is thriving, it's a whole community of folks helping each other whether it be finding parts,
trading karts, sharing how to's , posting tips,  hosting events.....or even starting new Forums .

It may be Vintage, but it's about getting more people involved that keeps it new and healthy.....that is....it's really all
about the people or the old karts would just be some novelty about how it was.....not how it is !

Image of Shawn winning a best of something award with the Bug.....thanks, it's a great kart and very much appreciated .

Another photo update ....Brian told me there were photos taken at Sugar River Event so I tracked these down off of Facebook Vintage Page .

Photo Credit goes to : Brodhead Historics 2017 Photos by Haley Morrall  .....Thank you Haley !

Here we get to see Brian's chassis progress next to his two runners, Terry Ives got a chance to give the restored Kurtis
a few laps as a nice bonus for his part in acquiring the second Kurtis Kart for Brian .

No fair!

Ives gets to drive the Kurtis........

No fair at all!
A bit more progress on the old Kurtis Prototype to report ......chassis is pretty much ready to head off for sanding and then powder coat. Final fabrication done !

Seems that Terry Ives is doing a restoration on an early Kurtis for a customer.....not very many of them still in existence ....so it's nice to know the few left are getting refreshed .

The orange one on the trailer is the Ives restoration Kurtis project .

I'm moving to West Sacramento next month (closing in the next day or two on the new house), so I'll be able to visit and pester Terry more readily in the future.