Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Rock Island Grand Prix
(08-04-2017, 09:36 AM)Shawn Welte Wrote: RIGP for karts like the rear engine karts is more like a spectacle than a race.  The speeds are super fast, the closing rates are super fast, your brakes suck, running vintage tires you don't have the grip like you would on a race track you will slide which can be fun at times, there are no run-off areas just walls if you don't like walls or are afraid of walls its not the place for you.  I can tell you from hitting those style of walls in my modern oval kart with full nerfs and bodywork, they hurt.  We run fast in C-Open Dual Rears, we race with the idea of putting on a good show for all the spectators who for the most part have no idea what the beginnings of karting were about.  Those spectators and the modern racers get a thrill out of seeing just how fast the dual rears and other vintage karts are and I can tell you even some of the shifter kart racers think we are little out of our minds to be racing karts without bodywork at the speeds we are going.  We have to be safe.  So what we try to do is not run in each others tire tracks, with no run offs and close to 50+ feet of track you ought to be able to pick something that works for you.  Pay attention to the flags, they have corner workers there everywhere.  Know who you are racing with and respect them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to turn anyone off that may be thinking about going, because it is one of the coolest kart races in the country.  What I am trying to tell people is be aware.  If you are in a sidewinder give that rear engine guy lots of room, he is on the edge, you can out brake him and definitely out stick him in the cornering department.  If you run up on someone that has not been there before, be aware.  If you come up on someone you have never ran with, give them plenty of room, you don't know what their capabilities are, some people get like that clausterphobia sense running between two sets of barricades.  Try not to run nose to tail anywhere, give room.  Your first practice laps, take it easy and look for the manhole covers, look for the bumps, you will like catch air from the side street down the second 800 ft straight between turns 1 and 2  if you run down the center of the street.  

And most of all, have fun and enjoy the great racing put on by all of the classes, modern and vintage.  It is a spectacle like no other.  The fans love the sound of the old karts in between the buildings.

Thanks Shawn, that is a correct assesment. If you are careful you should have no problems. I have run many street races in my day and this is by far the safest, smoothest and best run one I have ever been to. Your turns are a whole city street wide.Come hang out with us for a good time. Other things going on at night like bands, lots of good places to eat, beer,ect.Check out their website!
Beer,,,Beer, they have BEER there??????

you gotta try this at least once,,,you do it once,,,you''ll be back...

gw