Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bully discs in DXL
Dave, what makes Howard's discs better?  I take it they are not OEM?  I've been following this thread since I use a
DXL also so I am always on the look out for parts suppliers.
obviously what is better about howard's discs is that he has them. they are not OEM.  he had them reproduced using better material.  i talked to howard yesterday when this post started to develop. he is in the process of sending me some discs right now so anybody interested in the discs for $20 a piece please PM me. if they go on ebay the price will be $23 just to cover the fees of selling them on ebay. howard and i discussed this in the past about my supplying the discs to the public. he is far too busy deal with sales of 2-3 discs at one time.  but howard's phone # is in the ebay listing below so feel free to contact him if you wish. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-pair-of-Vintag...Swax5YyB1S
What chuck said is dead on about the disks. i think Chuck selling them will be a great thing. he's a reliable shipper and he already knows everyone.
Howard is a great guy but like many of us is very busy with work so shipping just a few things actually becomes an issue.
for those that don't know howard also had a big stash of lmr parts. not sure if that's still true.
Dave L.
When I was complaining about price I was unaware that someone was reproducing DXL disks for $20 , I think that is a more than fair price. What I was actually referring to was the Horstman $45 carbon fiber DXL disk that I thought was the only game in town.
Rod Van Deusen
Vintage & Classic Sidewinder Resource
www.vdm46.com
(03-25-2017, 08:22 AM)Sterling Brundick Wrote: Dave, what makes Howard's discs better?  I take it they are not OEM?  I've been following this thread since I use a
DXL also so I am always on the look out for parts suppliers.

Sterling, They are made with actual hard compound cluth material and semi metalic. So far no compaints and they won't burn up like the oem discs. Thanks : Howard ps, Thanks guys for the positive input.
Well after New Castle I can report that the bully discs are not a good option. I ran them during Thursday there and have ~200 laps on the discs (50 at Barnesville, 125 at CMP, and 25 at New Castle)

The discs only show ~.008 wear but they have killed the steel floater, drive plate and pressure plate with about .040 wear on the floater and .020 on the other steel plates. I wondered about this originally and did see some wear after Barnesville but it was only .001-.003 after there.

I have ran 2 sets of the discs Chuck is selling and had the air gap open ~.004 on the two clutches ran at New Castle. One of them was with a 250# driver in the Yamaha limited class. With no discernable wear on the steel pieces.
Nice to know that there is now a source for the DXL disc but does someone have drums? They seem to be getting scarcer by the minute.