Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to take off a mcculloch flywheel
HELP! I'm trying to take the flywheel of my mc8 and i have no clue what I'm doing, and I'm in a time crunch.

i got the nut off, but can't budge the flywheel off the crank.

do i need a flywheel puller?

thanks!

Vico
Puller is recommended.  A metal bar with three holes. Center hole for screw to crank, two outer screw hole to screw into the small threaded flywheel holes. Apply Allen wrench through cover to hold flywheel from rotating. Watch your fingers.

There is another way, but I don't recommend it.

Here is video. This was the way I did it as a kid. I would try a deadhead hammer if you have one first to see if that will do it. If not, you can try the ball-peen hammer. Make sure the nut is above the crank so it is not exposed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=398s-FFaZLw
(03-23-2017, 06:08 PM)Ludovico Prelogar Wrote: HELP! I'm trying to take the flywheel of my mc8 and i have no clue what I'm doing, and I'm in a time crunch.

thanks!

Vico
Vico,

If you have an AutoZone auto parts store nearby, you can essentially rent tools from them. What you're really doing is buying the tool (flywheel puller) that they regularly loan out and when you return it you get all your money back. Scott gave you good advice, if you try the hammer technique, use a brass headed hammer. It will still give it a good whack but will also absorb some of the impact that can otherwise damage the crankshaft. As he mentioned, screw the nut on just to where it doesn't begin to expose the crank end and leaves the nut higher or something you place flush across it to take the impact.

Go and rent a puller if you can. There are several variations, it should look like this for the most part:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-23-2017, 08:40 PM)Vince Rosanelli Wrote:
(03-23-2017, 06:08 PM)Ludovico Prelogar Wrote: HELP! I'm trying to take the flywheel of my mc8 and i have no clue what I'm doing, and I'm in a time crunch.

thanks!

Vico
Vico,

If you have an AutoZone auto parts store nearby, you can essentially rent tools from them. What you're really doing is buying the tool (flywheel puller) that they regularly loan out and when you return it you get all your money back. Scott gave you good advice, if you try the hammer technique, use a brass headed hammer. It will still give it a good whack but will also absorb some of the impact that can otherwise damage the crankshaft. As he mentioned, screw the nut on just to where it doesn't begin to expose the crank end and leaves the nut higher or something you place flush across it to take the impact.

Go and rent a puller if you can. There are several variations, it should look like this for the most part:

Thanks both for the advice. I think I will rent a puller to play it safe, it's not worth the risk. I also couldn't quite understand what he was doing in the video. I think he was saying to crack the nut pr something like that? 

I may as well just buy a puller so I can use it in the future.

Thanks both!

Vico
I just had one that was on so tight it just pulled the threads out of the flywheel I made a puller that I could bolt to the flywheel. I bottom taped the 1/4 X 20 in the flywheel so I could use the longest 1/4 bolts used a 1/2 fine bolt as the pusher got it nice and tight and gave it a good rap with a good size hammer and out came the 1/4 bolts out of the flywheel. next was to drill the flywheel so I could get the to the bolts that hold the side cover on got them out so I could get the crank out of the block. I got the crank side cover and flywheel out of the block next was to use a hacksaw to cut the side cover up small enough so I could support the flywheel next was to machine up a ring to fit the flywheel I have some steel tube about 5" in diameter 1/4 wall about 7"long with the ring and the tube the crank had about 1" clearance next was 3 Lbs hammer and a hunk of 1" steel as a punch one good rap and it came apart with a good bang. saved the block and crank flywheel and side cover junk ken
(03-23-2017, 10:13 PM)ken northside Wrote: I just had one that was on so tight it just pulled the threads out of the flywheel  I made a puller that I could bolt to the flywheel. I bottom taped the 1/4 X 20 in the flywheel so I could use the longest 1/4 bolts used a 1/2 fine bolt as the pusher got it nice and tight and gave it a good rap with a good size hammer and out came the 1/4 bolts out of the flywheel. next was to  drill the flywheel so I could get the to the bolts that hold the side cover on got them out so I could get the crank out of the block. I got the crank side cover and flywheel out of the block next was to use a hacksaw to cut  the side cover up small enough so I could support the flywheel next was to machine up a ring to fit the flywheel I have some steel tube about 5" in diameter 1/4 wall about 7"long with the ring and the tube the crank had about 1" clearance next was 3 Lbs hammer  and a hunk of 1" steel as a punch  one good rap and it came apart with a good bang. saved the block and  crank flywheel and side cover junk ken

If you use a puller and the threads fail in one or both of the threaded holes in the flywheel just drill the hole out to the right size for a 5/16 tap and re-thread the hole(s).
As long as you are careful with the drill you can go all the way through the flywheel so you can tap the entire depth of the hole(s)
Steve O'Hara
With the puller screws set in place, snug the center bolt onto the crank. Try this first, you should not have to have to excessively screw down--just tighten to a moderate resistant. Then with a quick hammer rap on the bolt, many times that will dislodge the flywheel off the crankshaft verses flywheel flying off.
Steve I would have done that but when it pulls a big hunk out of the flywheel it's done plus it had a few fins missing
Scott I tried that
The way it came off in the end you could tell it was not coming off easy Ken
My 2 cents.
A puller is certainly the best way, but this works many times...

Screw the nut in or out until the end of the crank is just below the top of the nut.
Holding the flywheel in your hand, lift the engine just a bit off of the bench.
Have some rags on the table to protect the engine if/when it drop loose.
Using a hammer (ball peen or one with a lead head) strike the nut sharply.

8 out of 10 times that will do it.
Plan B - spring for a puller
(03-24-2017, 12:02 PM)Terry Sullivan Wrote: My 2 cents.
A puller is certainly the best way, but this works many times...

Screw the nut in or out until the end of the crank is just below the top of the nut.
Holding the flywheel in your hand, lift the engine just a bit off of the bench.
Have some rags on the table to protect the engine if/when it drop loose.
Using a hammer (ball peen or one with a lead head) strike the nut sharply.

8 out of 10 times that will do it.
Plan B - spring for a puller

Terry, 

Completely agree with your comment--TRUE. Before the puller, I've done it that way as well regularly. With the puller, it just was almost like finger tightening the puller and just a gentle tap with the hammer, the flywheel separated. It seems the 'first' flywheel removal on a given engine that appears to requires the most effort (force) and courage (damage to engine or to ourselves).

I really liked the tip Steve O'Hara gave.

I still have my puller that a friend's father gave me after he saw me working on my engine (McCulloch) replacing a bad condenser. When I find that puller, along with the others that appeared to be recently misplaced. I'll post a picture of the McCulloch puller. 

Scott Elkes