Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not exactly kart related/my profession
I thought I'd share a video of part of what I did at S&S Cycle. This is an area where I worked as a professional engine builder. I was the person responsible for setting up all the test data for the 64 different kind of engines they built. The end of the line test facility was my test baby to find the data to pass or fail engines. If someone add the wrong cam or a push rod was set wrong or a ring was installed wrong the test had to kick that engine out. A bad gasket blocking an oil passage or any incorrect part has to be found before it goes to the customer. It took me over 2 years to get the Data correct. I retired in 2008 and this was shot in 2010. It looks easy but it was very challenging. These engines are not being fired. They have electronic transducers in the spark plug holes to read cyl. pressure. This is a cold test. My other job was to man the phones with the customer base world wide to solve all the Dealer and customer problems with the engines or motorcycles.

S&S Cycle Engine Assembly with Wally Cahill - YouTube

[size=undefined]Wally Cahill asks S&S engine assembly supervisor Travis Egge how the S&Sperformance engines are put ...[/size]
(02-01-2017, 10:59 AM)steve welte Wrote: I thought I'd share a video of part of what I did at S&S Cycle. This is an area where I worked as a professional engine builder. I was the person responsible for setting up all the test data for the 64 different kind of engines they built. The end of the line test facility was my test baby to find the data to pass or fail engines. If someone add the wrong cam or a push rod was set wrong or a ring was installed wrong the test had to kick that engine out. A bad gasket blocking an oil passage or any incorrect part has to be found before it goes to the customer. It took me over 2 years to get the Data correct. I retired in 2008 and this was shot in 2010. It looks easy but it was very challenging. These engines are not being fired. They have electronic transducers in the spark plug holes to read cyl. pressure. This is a cold test. My other job was to man the phones with the customer base world wide to solve all the Dealer and customer problems with the engines or motorcycles.

S&S Cycle Engine Assembly with Wally Cahill - YouTube

[size=undefined]Wally Cahill asks S&S engine assembly supervisor Travis Egge how the S&Sperformance engines are put ...[/size]

my happiest thought about you retiring is i lucked out and met you in vintage. now if i ever get back to building my shovel i can bug my favorite expert even though he's retired!!!
bwa ha ha. cool video btw
Dave L.
Very cool stuff. I'm never surprised about the level of talent here in this community. Probably not widely shared info, but did you ever get feedback on how many rejections you were able to catch before they left the factory?
That's very interesting Steve.  Thank you for sharing that.  I look forward to an in-depth reply to Sam's question.
Oh your going to love this. Early on when this project got going and I was still trying to set up all the data I had 14 failed engines in one morning for low RPM oil pressure. Since this was the last thing that happened to an engine short of placing it in a shipping box, if this test caused a log jam the entire plant stops. I had no time to do the teardowns to find the problem so one of Test and development came down . Hours later he found a gasket that had the oil feed hole in the wrong location exposing part of the hole to the cam chest. Loss of oil pressure when the pressure is low. If you got lucky and the gasket was moved just about .020 it would seal. So 14 of them that morning weren't so lucky. It triggered a huge warranty issue because I don't even want to tell you how many had been going out the door prior to this test being setup. The purpose is to find the problems before the customer gets the engine. It cost 3/4 million dollars to set this machine up. It paid for itself in a short period of time. Warranty claims dropped in an hurry. a better product is the result. Just think. when I was on the phone as a Tech I had one month with way over $100,000.00 in warranty claims and I was only one tech of 6. It's what you do to stop the bleeding. A better company exist today for this and many other reasons. S&S was the first motorcycle engine company to pilot this type of testing. It was a hard 2 years to develop and pass and fail system for every engine. Each engine can be built in a Performance package, a touring package, an EPA approved package or a EuropeanTUV package. A different test is required for each engine. 64 engines in all those packages.
Steve,

While the subject is off topic, I LOVE the occasional drift and this is one of them--a cool mechanical related topic. Thanks for sharing your story.
for you guys that don't come to Vintage karting events Steve is one of the most talented , underrated builders, engine and chassis guys in the USA....to look at him you'd think "" farmer Joe"", but inside there is a lot a shi* going on,,,he knows his stuff...he has helped me and others numerous times ....

its great to have guys like Steve involved in karting , both Vintage and modern, and I'm lucky to be able to call him ""friend....."" and don't forget Shawn his son,,,,,been thru so much in the last couple years.....both great guys,,,

ps..Steve,,,,,send checks to the normal address...

gw
(03-05-2017, 08:00 AM)Gary Wlodarsky Wrote: for you guys that don't come to Vintage  karting events Steve is one of the most talented , underrated builders, engine and chassis guys in the USA....to look at him you'd think "" farmer Joe"", but inside there is a lot a shi* going on,,,he knows his stuff...he has helped me and others numerous times ....

its great to have guys like Steve involved in karting , both Vintage and modern, and I'm lucky to be able to call him ""friend....."" and don't forget Shawn his son,,,,,been thru so much in the last couple years.....both great guys,,,

ps..Steve,,,,,send checks to the normal address...

gw

While I have not personally met Steve or Shawn. I have extensively communicated with Shawn on Facebook and Facebook Messenger. I have to agree with Gary--true karting community assets. I can relate to Steve's story, being in heavy manufacturing related to the automotive and architectural industries in production and later as Manager--Quality, Environmental and Safety Systems.
The welte's have been a great help and inspiration to me and many other newbies here in the mid west. In fact there have been many vintage guys I have meet in the past few years that have made vintage karting so much fun. I agree, many talented people, and there willingness to share and help others, is what it takes to make this sport grow.
(03-05-2017, 12:22 PM)Shawn moore Wrote: The welte's have been a great help and inspiration to me and many other newbies here in the mid west. In fact there have been many vintage guys I have meet in the past few years that have made vintage karting so much fun. I agree, many talented people, and there willingness to share and help others, is what it takes to make this sport grow.

I'll second what Shawn says about Steve. He's been extremely helpful to me. If weren't for him and others like him who are so willing to help, it'd be hard for novices like myself to get started in such a fun hobby.

Ryan