Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nassau Team Photos (1960 World Championship)
Karting World (March 1961)

Nassau Team Photos article.

I threw in a few Nassau-related items. Seems some things do not change. For many, you'll know it when you read it.

Give us a shoutout is you know anyone in the pictures. And, perhaps share a favorite story about the person?

Note: If the pictures look grainy or like looking through a window screen, zoom in. These are high resolution scans and will show great details as you zoom in. (True for all scanned documents that I have shared).

Attached Files
.pdf   KW Mar1961 Nassau Team Photos.pdf (Size: 9.53 MB / Downloads: 49)
(02-20-2017, 08:46 AM)Scott elkes Wrote: Karting World (March 1961)

I threw in a few Nassau-related items. Seems some things do not change. For many, you'll know it when you read it.

Give us a shoutout is you know anyone in the pictures. And, perhaps share a favorite story about the person?

Note: If the pictures look grainy or like looking through a window screen, zoom in. These are high resolution scans and will show great details as you zoom in. (True for all scanned documents that I have shared).
It was nice seeing the Nassau pix. The pic of the Homelite team shows Al Keller. He was an Indy driver, and also won the first NASCAR race ever won by a foreign car (a Jaguar), and owned our local speedway. Pop and I got him started in karting, because he let us run at his speedway on weekends, and during intermission at the Saturday night stock car races. Pop put Al in his Bug Wasp, and Al fell in love with karts. He was a good friend to all of us Brevard county karters. Ted
(02-20-2017, 12:20 PM)ted johnson Wrote:
(02-20-2017, 08:46 AM)Scott elkes Wrote: Karting World (March 1961)

It was nice seeing the Nassau pix. The pic of the Homelite team shows Al Keller. He was an Indy driver, and also won the first NASCAR race ever won by a foreign car (a Jaguar), and owned our local speedway. Pop and I got him started in karting, because he let us run at his speedway on weekends, and during intermission at the Saturday night stock car races. Pop put Al in his Bug Wasp, and Al fell in love with karts. He was a good friend to all of us Brevard county karters. Ted

Thanks for sharing Ted! Great addition!
I don't know the man personally myself, but I do believe most everyone in our little circle knows the name Stirling Moss, the famous English race driver.  He competed along side Dan Gurney, Phil Hill and Graham Hill among others.  He's on the magazine page 26 as part of the Keele Kart Team.  He was one of the original owners of a Maserati 200SI (serial #2401) that my dad owned at one time when I was a little boy.  Here's an attachment with a laundry list of the car's previous owners.   My dad bought it from Jim Hall.   There are some pictures of the car at the bottom of the attachment.  For some reason I can't seem to attach any of my own pictures of the car.  My older brother went to the Concourse show at Amelia Island 2 years ago where the car was on display along with a guest appearance by Stirling Moss.

http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Mase....200SI.htm
(03-04-2017, 09:16 PM)Sterling Brundick Wrote: I don't know the man personally myself, but I do believe most everyone in our little circle knows the name Stirling Moss, the famous English race driver.  He competed along side Dan Gurney, Phil Hill and Graham Hill among others.  He's on the magazine page 26 as part of the Keele Kart Team.  He was one of the original owners of a Maserati 200SI (serial #2401) that my dad owned at one time when I was a little boy.  Here's an attachment with a laundry list of the car's previous owners.   My dad bought it from Jim Hall.   There are some pictures of the car at the bottom of the attachment.  For some reason I can't seem to attach any of my own pictures of the car.  My older brother went to the Concourse show at Amelia Island 2 years ago where the car was on display along with a guest appearance by Stirling Moss.

http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Mase....200SI.htm
According to a couple Bug team members I knew, Moss was "Mr. Unapproachable" at Nassau, acting as though he were too great to associate with the common backyard kart drivers. When he got the Keele Bultaco onto the track, it was such a stone that the good A Class karts were passing him left and right. I understand Moss was a bit embarrassed. It's too bad. On a competitive kart, he probably would have done well, but the Keele was like a couple of ladders stuck together with some crossmembers and a set of scooter wheels. TJ