Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SMOKEY SPOUTS OFF SOME MORE
THOSE OF US WITH SOME HILLBILLY BACKGROUND ARE FOND OF A COUPLE OF STATEMENTS.  FIRST, IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT. SECOND, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.

MY LATE GREAT BUDDY BUTCH K WAS FIXATED ON NEW TIRES FOR RACE DAY.  HE SAID THAT ONE RACE DAY OR PROLONGED STORAGE GREATLY INCREASED THE HARDNESS OF THE BRIDGESTONE/POST BRIDGESTONE ERA TIRES.  THE FOLKS THAT BROUGHT AND USED NEW TIRES FOR PRACTICE AND PUT ON NEW TIRES FOR THE RACES MADE EACH RACE DAY AN EXPENSIVE PROPOSITION.  EACH YEAR, WE HAVE THOSE TIRES WERE OK, BUT NOT NOW OR VISE VERSA.  WHY NOT SET THE HARDNESS LEVEL A COUPLE OF POINTS ABOVE THE "NEW" LEVEL AND IGNORE THE BRAND/MODEL WHOOPLA.  CHECK THE FIRST COUPLE OF LEADERS WHEN THEY FINISH A RACE TO SEE IF THEY ARE SNEAKING IN "SOFT" TIRES. CHEATERS COULD BE DISQUALIFIED FROM RECEIVING A TROPHY (GASP!)  &   ACTUALLY RUN FOR FUN. 

THE CONSTANT TINKERING WITH RULES, CLASSES, ETC. IS EXASPERATING AT BEST.  PARTICIPATION IN CLASSES WILL VARY FROM RACE TO RACE.  CHANGING THINGS BASED ON THAT IS SIMPLY FOOLISH.  UNEXPLAINED CHANGES IN RULES TICK OFF THE FOLKS OUTSIDE THE INNER CIRCLE AND USUALLY LOOK ARBITRARY AT BEST.  IF YOU ARE DETERMINED TO CHANGE SOMETHING, SPEND MORE TIME EXPLAINING WHY THE CHANGE WAS MADE AND WHAT BENEFITS IT HAS.  SIMPLY RESPONDING TO SOMEONE'S OR SOME GROUP'S COMPLAINTS IS A STUPID REASON TO CHANGE THINGS.  

DON'T BE DUMB AND DUMBER.  THERE ARE CURRENTLY COMMENTS ABOUT CHANGING THE DATES FOR JACKSONVILLE AND BARNESVILLE.  JACKSONVILLE IS JUST ABOUT PERFECT FOR THE NORTHERN KARTERS WHO HAVE SUFFERED THROUGH ROUGHLY HALF OF WINTER.   IF CALIFORNIA IS EVER RELEASED FROM ITS DEEP FREEZE, THE DATES NEED TO BE COORDINATED TO AVOID SCEDULING ON THE SAME WEEKEND, BUT THAT IS IT.
BARNESVILLE HAS BEEN SUCCESSFUL FOR DECADES WITH IT'S MARCH RACES.  IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T PROPOSE TO FOUL IT UP.
Come on, Blaine! You know that almost every rule change or new rule is proposed, bot because the change is a good one, but because it benefits the one who's proposing the change. It has been that way since karting began. Some changes and new rules make good sense, but some are because Joe Blow has a particular engine or component in his stash and he wants the rules fiddled with because he will personally benefit from the change. "Hey, rules committee! I have a modified Tripp axle clutch laying in my box of old parts. Let's change the rules to allow axle clutches in rear engine Vintage!" Ted
I'm becoming tired of some of the things that happen. However until there are weights in classes not much else matters. Stock, modified, tires, pipes, gas, alky, dry clutch, oil clutch , fat, skinny, old, young, weights, no weights, rich guy, poor guy ahhhhhhh in the end I'll just run and not worry about much of anything. I can't fix anything and don't try anymore. Just show up and run.
AAAmen, Steve! That's how we do things at Tucson. Just have fun and try to be as fast as you can with vintage equipment. TJ
I agree with Steve,
You can't have "competitive racing", demonstrations or not, without weight rules. everything else is just trying to make people feel good about their class.
I just go to have fun now and don't worry about winning because depending on who shows up I am only running for third or fourth anyway so why not just let that go and run for fun.
My two cents
(02-22-2021, 06:48 AM)Scott Kneisel Wrote: I agree with Steve,
You can't have "competitive racing", demonstrations or not, without weight rules. everything else is just trying to make people feel good about their class.
I just go to have fun now and don't worry about winning because depending on who shows up I am only running for third or fourth anyway so why not just let that go and run for fun.
My two cents

Scott,,, agreed,,, what we need is more ppl that want to have ,,,excuse me,,,FUN...to many think they are better at 50- 60 (ie Faster) than they were at 20 ..when we get more wanting to have...... FUN,,, it will be a lot more FUN,,,

most don't understand Vintage Racing,,, OMG did I call it racing...is a bit different than modern bumper karts, just like in Vintage Racing with all motor sports, its not COMPETITVE or at least it shouldn't be...but unfortunately there is the small percentage that think t is,,,.... most guys don't take out their million dollar Can Am cars to destroy,,,  just like us, we, I for sure, do not want to crash, scratch, or destroy my Vintage pride and joy ...

so unfortunately, we are the rare breed,, that doesn't care about scoring, or where I finished,,,, or my lap times.....I just want to have ...FUN...

GW
to that I plan to have a couple runs in the Historic's this year.
(02-24-2021, 10:48 PM)steve welte Wrote: to that I plan to have a couple runs in the Historic's this year.

yep...me too.. and I see a few others are going Historic,,,  we can go down the back stretch and bump fists ,,,ok,,,yer turn to lead....

wonder if I can fit in that Go Kart 800......its got an 820 on it,,,, first 820 in my life.. scary stuff right there

GW
Hey, GW! Be careful about that bumping fists. I remember back in about '61 or '62, my buddy, Dave Woodhurst and I did the "fist bump" going down the straight at Rockledge, Florida in B/B Super Class. We ended up in an upside down wad at the end of the straight. We got a big laugh out of it, but we didn't bump fists again. Dave had those rectangular GEM air filters on his Mc6's. There was the impression of one of those filters in the asphalt for ever after! I gave him a new carb body to replace the one we broke off. Ted
(02-25-2021, 09:11 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Hey, GW! Be careful about that bumping fists. I remember back in about '61 or '62, my buddy, Dave Woodhurst and I did the "fist bump" going down the straight at Rockledge, Florida in B/B Super Class. We ended up in an upside down wad at the end of the straight. We got a big laugh out of it, but we didn't bump fists again. Dave had those rectangular GEM air filters on his Mc6's. There was the impression of one of those filters in the asphalt for ever after! I gave him a new carb body to replace the one we broke off. Ted

yer right...I have seen that happen....more than once,,,,,,

hey are you in touch with Al   ""Torque""..he wanted some T shirts ..I do not have shipping info

gw