Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil Recommendations
Hi,
I have been doing alky in my Macs for a few years now and have been using either Klotz Super or Burris Castor with pretty good luck.
I would like to go full synthetic for the clean burning aspect. The castor tends to form a lot of carbon and blackening of the pistons, even with the combination oils.
Anyone had luck running Redline with alky?

Anyway, I tend to twist my engines pretty tight (eg around 13K)  so I need something that won't breakdown at high RPM.

I would like to hear any experiences.
Thanks,
Scott
I'm not sure if this applicable, only running gasoline. I'll check my bottle to see if alky is suitable. 

I have been using Burris (Synthetic and Castor) with pump gas (gasohol, various octane grades) and 110 octane race gas over the years for my IAME Earykart (125cc TaG air-cooled) and sister engine IAME Leopard '07 (125cc TaG liquid-cooled). These are 18,000 rpm capable engines, however, I spin them up to mid 15 to low 16,000. I also run the same fuel in a 125cc Honda Moto Shifter kart (low 12000 rpm).

I have transistioned to just running synthetic for the reason you stated for your change. I have not taken apart the Leopard to evaluate carbon buildup.

And, to keep to the vintage kart theme, a Burris 1985 ad of the same branded oil along with present day packaging.

.jpeg   Burris 1985_2017.jpeg (Size: 1.11 MB / Downloads: 12)
Scott, My understanding is Redline does not mix with alky. I had heating problems with the Klotz so I went to Castor and it went away. I would also like something that does not gum up in my Macs but am not willing to risk a piston so I use castor and flush with gas and all syn Klotz.
I stopped using anything syn because of beating out the lower ends. Went to 11 oz straight castor. I have to take the engines apart from last season to view the exact result from the change.
Scott,
I like Redline for gas, but when I tried it with alky, it did not mix.
Technically, it resulted in a colloidal suspension - not good!
I went back to gas - I can get 90 octane non-ethanol locally and I believe it performs better than 93 with ethanol.

t
I'm "sticking" with Blendzall 460 Green Label castor and alky. The last engine I stuck was in the seventies, on gas and synthetic. Castor is a little more messy, but it works! Ted
Scott, talk to Terry Ives, I had heard that Redline now has an oil that mixes with Alky. My opinion, stay with castor. When we went to our spec. fuel program in Region 11 we used ERC 110 race gas with 6 oz of Blendzal castor, we later changed to Burris castor, only because Burris was close, both oils are fine. Carbon was not a problem. I was the Tech person at 7 IKF grand nationals, all the engines that were using synthetic oils were very dry inside, the engines that were using castor had a nice film of oil on the inside, bearings, crankshaft etc. My opinion is castor is hard to beat.
Scott my dad and i ran klotz super techniplate in alcohol this season and since you did open the engine up and see what happened maybe we are using the wrong oil, let me know what you think, sounds like I need to go back to Castor.
6 ozs klotz supertech and 2-3 ozs benol per gallon methanol. Ran that mix last season trying to get the benefits of bean oil with the clean burn of synthetic. Seemed to work.
(01-07-2020, 08:38 AM)John Wolkiewicz Wrote: Scott my dad and i ran klotz super techniplate in alcohol this season and since you did open the engine up and see what happened maybe we are using the wrong oil, let me know what you think, sounds like I need to go back to Castor.
John,
See my last post on here. I am gonna change to Castor, I had a similar failure as your dad did on one of my high reving engines.