Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reflections on vintage karting growth in the last few years.
Wow great to hear things are coming along. The last few years I have been solely focused on building my home out in the middle of nowhere. It is a reality now and soon to be finished enough for me to finally move in. Been building it completely by myself as time has allowed. It is a real labor of love. But any other interests/projects/toys have taken a back seat. Including an Austin Healey 3000. The karts will hopefully get farther along when this cabin project is done. Maybe even getting a kart finished, before another one that needs some tlc shows up. Anyway one of these days, I will make it out to an event. I really enjoy reading the coverage and looking at all of the pics.

Even tho the rear engine karts were a thing long before I was born, have always loved playing with the stuff. Back when it was left over obsolete, I loved getting the junk running and heading to the local track for laps. No reason to race it, if the afternoon was spent just driving around the track. Spent my free time doing this every chance I could even before getting my drivers license.

My biggest obsession was to put together a dual engine anything, just for the fun factor. Finally happened in 1981. Lucked in to a nearly pristine 1974 Margay Panther dual chassis. Then paid $100 for a pair of matching BM 104's, modified by APPCO. Got everything put together and spent every weekend making laps. I still have the motors, but that kart was sold during the dirt racing hype in the early nineties. BTW the first time driving this kart I actually experienced tunnel vision. Wow what a rush!

Right now my favorites are 2 Cates karts, with either dual PPAH61's or Mc 6, 8, 10's. They are so much fun to drive. Another project I picked up last year is an unknown dual chassis with 2 Clinton E-65's. Every kart is in need of work, but so does everything I own. Always enjoy catching up on the forums. Maybe one day I will meet some of you guys in person.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reflections on vintage karting growth in the last few years. - by Terry Bentley - 11-12-2019, 11:05 PM