Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great vapor blasting resource
Hey, Nils. I'm in the dark on a good way to get paint to stick well to mag. I just get them clean and obtain a fresh surface, by getting the vapor-blast done, or a bead blast, wipe them down with degreaser, then use a GOOD self-etching primer as quickly as I can. Then a quality paint. It is even hard to get powder to stick well. I had the old Homelite saw/kart conversion blasted and powder coated back in Idaho, and the powder has flaked away in a couple of spots. I have no idea how well that powder guy did his prep work. The magnesium Go Power wheels on the n1ke were bead blasted, then hit within a few hours with Dupli Color self-etch primer. I then coated them with Dupli Color spray and gently baked them. The paint will still flake off before it will scratch. I don't know the answer for do-it-yourself. The new CT wheels on the Photon look nice, but the crud from the exhaust has already stained the inside of the right rear wheel. I did them in Rustoleum after calling their customer service department. I followed their advice to the letter.
Keep up the good work at Resto Cycle, Nils. You provide a really quality service for a good price, with a fast turnaround. Thanks! Ted

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Great vapor blasting resource - by ted johnson - 06-03-2017, 08:28 AM
RE: Great vapor blasting resource - by ted johnson - 12-04-2017, 12:17 PM
RE: Great vapor blasting resource - by David Lee - 01-03-2018, 06:15 AM
RE: Great vapor blasting resource - by bhp11211 - 01-16-2018, 01:07 AM