Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLAYDAY ANNOUNCEMENT at Thompson Speedway an interesting old racing track in Ct
Hi guys, here's a random post (maybe Big Grin ).
Read the third post by me events moved very fast and we now have a demostration Kart Show Playday Scheduled. Very Last Minute but read on to see why.

Thompson Speedway Web Site

Thompson Speedway has one of my favorite swap meets. i go every year and in the past have been to a few of the car races.
The car races were roundy track affairs so to me not hugely interesting.
In the past they'd had a big road course but that has been moth balled as long as i could remember. there was bits of it left notably the elevation change which is nearly 30" from the base to the high point.

thompson history

About two/three years ago that all changed. Getting out of the truck for the swap meet at five a.m. i dimly noticed that i was standing on pavement instead of the grass parking from years past. i then noticed i could see the pavement which in the fall was wrong and realized there were huge light illuminating everything. I was amazed to see the ROAD TRACK WAS BACK!!! Instead of grass a road course . Big Grin 
Here's a quote from the track website "Our 1.7 mile road course is the rebirth of the first purpose-built closed-circuit road racing track in the United States. It offers elements to challenge amateur and professional drivers alike – and includes the nostalgia inherent in its history."

Hit the highlited area to see the road course layouts available.

Anyway i thought wow a great ENDURO track. So naturally i put out a few feelers. Sadly they were wasted time as the track rental for one day is ALOT of money. But determined i thought there must be a way.

The best idea was to convince the track to built a racing kart track at the facility. so far that hasn't worked out. The next best idea was to get them to allow us track time with a auto event.
     The issue was who to talk to as access is very important. Our idea is to have an event like V.I R. where we get access during a car event. Vintage Enduros is the natural track fit but if we could get some barriers to make a sprint track in the pit/track paved ares even better.
 Naturally it wouldn't be a pure vintage karting full weekend event , more like an Exhibition Rally and Kart Show at an Auto Racing event.
I suppose we'd have lot of fun watching the "main" event with full access while still getting in some track time. If nothing else it would be a Great Opportunity to expose Vintage Karting to a broader Group of people. The main idea if we do this would be a really fancy Fun Day with Great Exposure for our sport.

Anyway that's where we're at with ideas. Any comments are welcome . Hopefully what we have panned will be supported by the vintage karting drivers in the area.

This is actually BEING Negotiated , right NOW , by Ted Tine. The way we are trying for access may not be perfect or easy to schedule but we are trying to sell an idea to the track that we feel would be an awesome opportunity.
   So please DO NOT CONTACT THE TRACK. Negotiating something like this takes ALOT of finesse and we have somebody experienced and capable of pulling this off in our favor.Cross your fingers and please take a look at the track

Cool

google map view of track
Save
Track and Facilities pix
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save

Save
Save
Save
Save
Dave L.

Messages In This Thread
PLAYDAY ANNOUNCEMENT at Thompson Speedway an interesting old racing track in Ct - by David Luciani - 04-20-2017, 07:34 AM