Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SMOKEY'S BARNESVILLE JINX
MY FIRST YEAR OF MY RETURN TO REAL KARTING DIDN'T GO WELL AT BARNESVILLE.  AFTER COMPLETING 3 HEATS AT BUSHNELL (POORLY) AND REALIZING I HAD BEAT UP MY SAE AND MC40 SPORTSMAN REAR ENGINE.  I DECIDED TO PUT AN X-LARGE SEAT ON MY MARGAY PANTHER AND PUT ON THE KOMET I WAITED MORE THAN A YEAR FOR FROM A PURPORTEDLY HOT ENGINE BUILDER.  UPON ARRIVAL I WENT TO FIRE UP "HOTSHOTS" BUILD.  IT NEVER STARTED.  IT WOULDN'T PULL FUEL EVEN WITH CARB CHANGE, PULSE HOLE ENLARGEMENT, ETC.  IT WAS CLEARLY A FATAL AIR LEAK THAT COULDN'T BE HANDLED AT THE TRACK.  YEAR ONE NO RACES.  

THE NEXT COUPLE OF YEARS, I WASTED TOO MUCH TIME JUMPING FROM PROJECT TO PROJECT AND NEVER REALLY HAD A RACE READY KART FOR BARNESVILLE.  DURING THAT TIME I KEPT DROPPING BLATANT HINTS TO THE OWNER OF SPIFFY B-OPEN THAT HE SHOULD LET ME DRIVE IT.  HIS CURRENT DRIVER WAS CUTTING ENGINES IN HALF LIKE A CERTAIN CONGRESSWOMAN WAS HANDLING AN OFFICIAL COPY OF THE STATE OF THE UNION MESSAGE.  AT BUSHNELL THIS YEAR, I BECAME AWARE THAT THE KART COULD BE PURCHASED.  IN ANOTHER FIT OF BAD JUDGEMENT, I BOUGHT THE KART FOR DELIVERY TO BARNESVILLE IN RACE READY TRIM.

I WAS HAVING A LITTLE TROUBLE WITH MY LEFT SHOULDER.  I FIGURED A SHOT OF CORTIZONE WITH A BIG NEEDLE WOULD FIX IT UP LIKE MY GIMPY KNEES.  THE SHOT DIDN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM AND INDICATED THAT DOC SLICE & DICE HAD A JOB  TO DO.  YESTERDAY, I JOINED THE INJURED RESERVE WITH ORDERS NOT TO DO ANY HEAVY LIFTING FOR SIX WEEKS.  SO MY SWEET DUAL WILL GO IN MY BIG TRAILER.  I WILL BE REDUCED TO PUTTING A FEW NICE KARTS UP FOR SALE AND HAULING BUTCH K'S BOYS GEAR FOR THEIR RACING EFFORTS.

IN SHORT, I REMAIN NO THREAT TO THE RACING SURFACE AT BARNESVILLE.

SMOKEY
OH my...doesn't sound good...but as we get older we tend to listen to Doctors advise......sometimes....

will see you at BVille.. can talk about a return policy if you want...10- 20 % restocking fee..LOL

get well my friend...

GW
Hell, Smokey, I'm in the same rocky boat as you. All I need do to the n1ke is hook up the throttle cable and fuel hoses, and it's ready for Tucson a week from Monday. Nobody near here to help with getting the kart off the table and into a trailer. With the CLL, I can't lift much, and I get unsteady on my feet when I'm carrying a load. Sitting is fine, but if I can't get the rig to the track, I will end up sitting here at home. I also don't feel up to driving to the extreme SW end of Phoenix for alky. Don't know if I will make the event or not. The n1ke has a stock block Libberton 610 on the Dyna Drive gearbox, so it won't be anywhere near as fast as the Bonbright engine, but I thought it'd be a fun ride. Ted
(03-08-2020, 01:10 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Hell, Smokey, I'm in the same rocky boat as you. All I need do to the n1ke is hook up the throttle cable and fuel hoses, and it's ready for Tucson a week from Monday. Nobody near here to help with getting the kart off the table and into a trailer. With the CLL, I can't lift much, and I get unsteady on my feet when I'm carrying a load. Sitting is fine, but if I can't get the rig to the track, I will end up sitting here at home. I also don't feel up to driving to the extreme SW end of Phoenix for alky. Don't know if I will make the event or not. The n1ke has a stock block Libberton 610 on the Dyna Drive gearbox, so it won't be anywhere near as fast as the Bonbright engine, but I thought it'd be a fun ride. Ted

Ted,,,it seems like just a couple years ago we were out with the best of em.....

I always wondered what it was when NASCAR drivers said they just can't do it anymore,,,safely....is the key word....

we still have to many that think Roger Penske is gonna come knocking on their door Monday morn after a Vintage event.....

get out, have some fun,,,don't worry about a 5 dollar trophy....

Gary
GW, I agree. The Photon is ready to go as well. Ten minutes to install the new seat, and that's it. I just thought the old n1ke deserved a run...if I can get it to the track! I miss all the great guys at Fremont, too. Hell, I haven't seen Charlie since 2015. Thank God Kurkowski made it out here for the Tucson November run. Barnesville! I haven't been there since the seventies. Ted
Roger who ?
After reading this I have to mention that cortizone shots eat cartilege in your joints so be sure to use it only as a last resort. If you have several shots in say your knees do not expect to avoid replacement. Many doctors won't tell you this.
(03-08-2020, 01:10 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Hell, Smokey, I'm in the same rocky boat as you. All I need do to the n1ke is hook up the throttle cable and fuel hoses, and it's ready for Tucson a week from Monday. Nobody near here to help with getting the kart off the table and into a trailer. With the CLL, I can't lift much, and I get unsteady on my feet when I'm carrying a load. Sitting is fine, but if I can't get the rig to the track, I will end up sitting here at home. I also don't feel up to driving to the extreme SW end of Phoenix for alky. Don't know if I will make the event or not. The n1ke has a stock block Libberton 610 on the Dyna Drive gearbox, so it won't be anywhere near as fast as the Bonbright engine, but I thought it'd be a fun ride. Ted

Ted, After my shoulder surgery I broke down and bought an electric lift. The wife said to buy one a couple of years before the shoulder. I should have listened to her!
Tom, no way can I afford anything like that. I get no pension, and have to do what I do on Social Security. I'm still better off than many who were self-employed and get far less than I do. The issue here is that I live where there isn't any help. It's not a big deal. The Spring event is a small one, and it isn't a huge thing to miss it. It's just that, as we get older, we have fewer events to look forward to! At least the n1ke turned out nice. All it needs are ATF in the gearbox and clutch oil in the clutch housing. I need alky, and it's a hundred twenty mile round trip to get it, and it's supposed to rain through Friday. TJ
After I paid the now self identified culprit who sold me the sweet Hornet, I indulged myself in a bright orange power lift (for my bright orange Starduster projects). My doc is already a little miffed that I think Barnesville is more important than attending three therapy sessions that week. Actually, I have to perform the "workout" three times a day, every day, and it's actually simple enough even I can do it. Sadly it's not worth taking the chance that bouncing around the track at a high rate of speed might undo all the good results and low pain to date.

The knees will eventually need the six months of hades level pain unless I get mauled by a bear in the summer in Alaska.

Smokey