Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rupp go kart (questions about rupp and good kart buying advise)
(11-21-2017, 11:17 AM)David Luciani Wrote: ok now we are getting somewhere.
i'm assuming you are a newbe but please correct me if i'm wrong.
 are you looking for a rupp specifically
 or a dual engined kart 
or just wanting to get started in vintage.

do you want a ready to run kart
 one just needing light restoration
or a full on project you wanna do everything.

i'll give my standard advise to newbes as it was told to me. 
buying a damaged frame project may seem cheaper at first glance.
 but if you go that route you'll soon discover all the smalls that are missing add up to significant investment both in time searching and money.

a more effective restoration or runner route is to buy a finished kart and change it to your taste or style.
or at least buy a kart that hasn't been molested or parted out.
the more complete a chassis you buy the less hassle you'll face when building it.

Cool
Earl, are you an experienced karter? If you are not, then even a single 101 will be a handful, and two will be downright dangerous. If you're new to the sport, a single Mac 91 will give a heck of a ride, be MUCH easier to maintain and far less costly. Ted
sounds to me like alot missing from the story????

maybe he had a 65 GP with 101s on it....

maybe he knows where one is and just curious as to how much to pay..

maybe he has a death wish like Ted was saying( joking of course)..but twin 101s on a GP with Vintage tires,,,yes it would be a hand full even for an experienced driver....

nice Chaparral with a101 just south of Cleveland (OH)...in the 2 -2.5 grand range ,,,not mine..veru nice piece,,but I think a little pricey...cash may change his mind.???

gw
(11-21-2017, 11:17 AM)David Luciani Wrote: ok now we are getting somewhere.
i'm assuming you are a newbe but please correct me if i'm wrong.
 are you looking for a rupp specifically
 or a dual engined kart 
or just wanting to get started in vintage.

do you want a ready to run kart
 one just needing light restoration
or a full on project you wanna do everything.

i'll give my standard advise to newbes as it was told to me. 
buying a damaged frame project may seem cheaper at first glance.
 but if you go that route you'll soon discover all the smalls that are missing add up to significant investment both in time searching and money.

a more effective restoration or runner route is to buy a finished kart and change it to your taste or style.
or at least buy a kart that hasn't been molested or parted out.
the more complete a chassis you buy the less hassle you'll face when building it.

Cool

Hi David , I had a rupp a bone in 1966 / 67 with 2 mac 101 dual carbs on alcohol, I am just looking to maybe buy a rupp or a newer model kart .I am newly retired and looking for a new hobby !
the kart gary w. mentioned sounds perfect for what your looking for ..??
Shocked 
And the moral of the story....while discussing the value of the kart in question.....someone bought it !

That Big J Dart is still available as a roller.....if you can handle the wishy washy front end .....?  Dodgy
Earl,
mc101's are great engines but as many have said a handful.
my opinion is while fast they are a little bit fragile.
if you want to relive the past exactly they are an option.
but they also are bringing higher costs to your vintage package as they are sought after motors.
another problem you may run into is finding someone to run against with dual mc101's.

mc91 duals are alot more common as a vintage kart entry .
typically i think they are being dialed back a bit.
pretty sure theres a vka class with box mufflers , dry clutch hard tires.
if you want to get into the sport again and run against other karts that might be the best path.

was it me i restart with a single mc91 to get back into the thinking you'll need to wrench on them again.
after you get back into it it's easy enough to add another motor and make things a bit quicker.

my two cents
Cool
Dave L.
Thanks for all the info from all the members , I will keep my eyes open for a a bone or grand prix with a single motor or roller ! Any ideas on where to look for vintage karts ?
Here on the forum is a great resource, but also watch on www.rearenginekarts.com and vkakarting.com

Another thing to do is in the for sale section make a wanted post.

You said within a couple hours of Cleveland. You happen to be from there? I am over in Ashtabula Ohio.
1 other thing: would you fit in the kart you are interested in? That happened to me with the first kart I bought for vintage. It was too tight a fit for me and I had to buy a second kart that I could drive. It was one like I used to drive but I was 50 # lighter.
(11-23-2017, 08:48 PM)Brian Santee Wrote: Here on the forum is a great resource, but also watch on www.rearenginekarts.com and vkakarting.com

Another thing to do is in the for sale section make a wanted post.

You said within a couple hours of Cleveland. You happen to be from there? I am over in Ashtabula Ohio.

Hermitage PA ,I had a campsite at indian creek for 10 years !

(11-23-2017, 10:54 PM)Tom Day Wrote: 1 other thing: would you fit in the kart you are interested in? That happened to me with the first kart I bought for vintage. It was too tight a fit for me and I had to buy a second kart that I could drive. It was one like I used to drive but I was 50 # lighter.

What ever I buy I will  make sure I fit comfortably !