Vintage Karting Forum
Is This The End - Printable Version

+- Vintage Karting Forum (https://www.vintagekartforum.com)
+-- Forum: Main forums (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Is This The End (/showthread.php?tid=3222)

Pages: 1 2

Is This The End - John Wolkiewicz - 05-14-2022

I know this post is going to be controversial but I have been one of the supporters of both sides and have fought for the reemergence of the two groups here in the northeast.  I have understood vintage karting since 1977 as my Pop shared stories of the local kart guys.  I finally built a Kart for myself and got my dad involved in the Northeast VKA. We had a few great years, making friends, going to dinner and breakfast "Mothers" if ya know, and then dare I say competing with one another on the track.  I felt the excitement and there was a huge growth in participation at the time, 2018ish, it pushed me to be a better driver, mechanic and teammate to the guys.  Then came the  separation of the two sides, we all know the story.  The split in participation has separated the people entering in events and in turn has declined the excitement.  They have there guys, we have ours and a few of us go to both.  Well I have been treading water for a few seasons now and I actually feel I have my best running kart yet, but there is such a small group of guys on both sides, its lost its excitement.  I actually got thru practice today and was ready to pack up and go home because there was no one to really race.  I had more fun at Nicholson last year for the turkey race and both sides were present than I did today.  Hmmmm?  Its funny as I talk to the guys in the pits, all that can be said is I just wish we were one group again.  Its truly amazing how the powers that be control the people, but the people don't get what they want?  I am not sure there is a solution as I spent hours on the phone with both sides.  But I guess I have to keep trying to get everyone together. Come on fellas, there is just not enough of us to be separated.

RE: Is This The End - ted johnson - 05-15-2022

John, as long as there is RACING, there will be multiple groups, as there were in the early days. The GKCA/IKF guys had their own ideas, the TWIKA guys had theirs the GPKCA guys had theirs. We'd show up at a GPKCA event with our fully legal GKCA/IKF kart, and somebody would start picking out things to protest. Thank God there were hundreds of thousands of karts back then, so karting survived. That isn't true today. There are far, far fewer karts now. If I showed up at a VKA or VKCA event with my Photon, they'd find a way to keep me from running. "That isn't a REAL vintage kart. It's one you designed". STUPID! This "Vintage" thing is supposed to be for fun, not a format for the "also rans" from the olden days to finally find some glory. Fremont and Tucson have the right idea. JUST RUN LAPS and have a good time, eat good BBQ, buy and sell and B.S. with your buddies in the pits. Ted

RE: Is This The End - David Luciani - 05-15-2022

john, love your spirit. 
Wish things had gone differently but they didn't. 
i seriously doubt the split will ever be repaired. 
get yourself up to avon ny if you want to be at an event with attendees.
that's all i have to say.
d Cool

RE: Is This The End - Gary Wlodarsky - 05-15-2022

just to keep it simple...the VKA has spent many many hours trying to get the groups back together again....but the  two leaders will not budge from what they want... the VKA has run a successful organization for a long time...perfect no, but we all get along.. and make it work... the VKA makes changes trying to accommodate the many, not the one or two.....

gw

Ted.....trying to think the last time you were at the Fremont...its been dying for that last 4-5 years,,,, no banquet, cut it to 2 days....IMO it will be gone in 4-5 years,,,

and no disrespect ,,John is not talking about the VKA and VKCA....

and just for the record.. your kart would fit right in to tha VKA Historic class....no racing , no trophies,, no winner...just run laps

RE: Is This The End - lynn haddock - 05-15-2022

John, 
you want competition -- come to New Castle in June -- this event has evolved into the un-official vintage kart NATIONALS -- big entree's for the on-track events as well as the kart show, plus a couple of nightly gatherings/dinners and BS sessions -- no disrespect to the good guy promoters  at Fremont and their great annual event, but over time, this event has become the big one.

GW, you've no idea how I wish I felt well enough to make Fremont once again. It was always my favorite Vintage event.
It's just too bad there are separate factions in Vintage. Vintage isn't well enough populated to keep up with split events and factions wanting different things.
I am friends with Scott K., Sam P. and more that run Avon. I'd love to try it out, but the health just isn't gonna allow me. I am just hoping to be able to make Tucson in November. It isn't big, but it's fun and Dean is a cook of the caliber of Jimmy Donovan. I stay in close touch with Ted and Cheryl Furtch, and help Ted where I can, but he's catching up on knowledge, and soon won't need my advice.
I hope to see some of my old friends again, like Torque Klusman, Jack Canady, you, Dick Teal, Virge Love and a lot more.
I raced a ton in the early days, but I just don't feel up to hard driving these days.
There's a new kart design on the CAD. I hope we can build the little beast. Ted

RE: Is This The End - Gary Wlodarsky - 05-15-2022

Ted.. understand completely.. and you know I meant no disrespect to you....you truly are one of Karting's legends.....as I meant to say.. we are all getting up in years.. I for one no longer care to go full out....,,I'd still like to make laps...well.. at least a few more...

My thoughts EXACTLY. I would like to get down to Tucson one more time for a few laps. We didn't go in '20. In '19, I think Terry Ives ran more laps in the Photon than I did. I still like to get on the track and run a few laps with Pruit Ginsberg, Larry Brown and Dean Kanocz. Terry ran the kart far harder than I did. I get tired after a couple hard laps and have to back way off. The kart and engine are willing, but I get rubbery. Ted

RE: Is This The End - John Wolkiewicz - 05-15-2022

I couldn't agree more it should be just fun, with a touch of competition, but we need to be together here in the northeast and get it going again.

Dave I already have my room at the cedar, cant wait to have breakfast on the sidewalk in town and cant wait to run with the guys.  But just a few short years ago we were bragging that we had one of the largest Kart shows to date at Avon, we will see what happens in July.  Are you going to be there and bring your buddy Mike Everin that would make things a bit more interesting.

Ted THE BIG ONE is on my bucket list Mike Everin has shared the greatness with me i will make an effort to be there this year.

Say "Hi" to Iron Mike Everin for me. It's been a long time. Ted