Vintage Karting Forum
Margay Cheetah - Printable Version

+- Vintage Karting Forum (https://www.vintagekartforum.com)
+-- Forum: Main forums (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Margay Cheetah (/showthread.php?tid=3034)

Pages: 1 2

Margay Cheetah - Scott Kneisel - 01-05-2021

.jpg   DSC_3173.JPG (Size: 575.42 KB / Downloads: 90)
Hi,
I know this is out of character for me but yesterday I picked up a Margay Cheetah from a friend. I originally bought it for the wheels and the nice Energetics brake.
I would consider restoring it if it would be a good handling kart if I go thru the tremendous work it needs.
I know nothing about this so I could use some help. I believe most of it is there , the mount has been turned upside down and welded solid but could probably be saved. Not sure if the front porch is original or has been added.
Anyway, any info would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Scott

RE: Margay Cheetah - Scott Kneisel - 01-05-2021

From what I can find it is probably an MKIII

RE: Margay Cheetah - David Luciani - 01-05-2021

hi scot, pretty nice but needs some loving. front porch correct.
 side nerf driver has been cut normally a small triangle shaped loop.
i will post good pix if i get time as i am attending a weeding in florida.
kinda crazy considering but was sick of hiding in ct anyway.
yer bud dave l

RE: Margay Cheetah - Skip Owen - 01-07-2021

Scott. If you end up restoring it and want fresh bumpers and nerfs I’m reproducing them in polished stainless steel. I have a welding fixture for that front bumper. Skip

RE: Margay Cheetah - Brett Mallory - 01-08-2021

Looks like quite a project, Scott. If anyone can do it, I'm sure you can though.

On an unrelated note: I just bought a blasting cabinet and air compressor to run it with. I've got a couple of snowmobile engine resto's to do, and both owners want them blasted to like new condition. One of them is a free air engine that has been painted Chevy orange - that one is going to be fun.... If you don't mind, I may be calling you for advice. Obviously, you have blasting air cooled engines perfected!

RE: Margay Cheetah - ted johnson - 01-08-2021

Scott, iff'n you need a seat, I have the Carl Weakley repop I took off the Photon. It has a couple holes for struts/braces and ugly snaps around the edge. It's not as strong as the original Cheetah seat, but if you want her, she's yours for the shipping. Ted

RE: Margay Cheetah - Vince Rosanelli - 01-10-2021

MK III. The front porch/bumper is correct, however, the front floor pan should extend from the straight axle to the front most lower portion of the porch. That rusty steel foot ramp obviously needs to go. Also, it appears someone made a singular unit of the brake pedal and master cylinder. The master cylinder should be mounted further back where the factory hangers are. The homemade hanger that the master cylinder is currently on needs to be cut off. Still a nice kart.

RE: Margay Cheetah - Tom Day - 01-11-2021

Scott,
Good handling karts! Basic frame design is like the Meyers Lancer. I have 3 Cheetahs and also drove them back in the day and won many races with them. Worth fixing and a great kart for the SASW class.

RE: Margay Cheetah - Scott Kneisel - 01-12-2021

(01-10-2021, 09:40 PM)Vince Rosanelli Wrote: MK III. The front porch/bumper is correct, however, the front floor pan should extend from the straight axle to the front most lower portion of the porch. That rusty steel foot ramp obviously needs to go. Also, it appears someone made a singular unit of the brake pedal and master cylinder. The master cylinder should be mounted further back where the factory hangers are. The homemade hanger that the master cylinder is currently on needs to be cut off. Still a nice kart.

Yeah, I love that brake pedal....Simplicity in action...NOT

Thanks for the input

(01-08-2021, 09:38 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Scott, iff'n you need a seat, I have the Carl Weakley repop I took off the Photon. It has a couple holes for struts/braces and ugly snaps around the edge. It's not as strong as the original Cheetah seat, but if you want her, she's yours for the shipping. Ted

Thanks Ted, I appreciate your offer and will take you up on it. Email sent!!

(01-05-2021, 11:37 PM)David Luciani Wrote: hi scot, pretty nice but needs some loving. front porch correct.
yer bud dave l

Thanks Dave,
From the adverts I have seen on the MKIII I have not seen a nerf on the left side. If you have a pic of one, I would love to see it.
Yes, it needs a lot of lovin but I am going for it, should be a good project.
Lots of good input here.

(01-07-2021, 10:58 PM)Skip Owen Wrote: Scott. If you end up restoring it and want fresh bumpers and nerfs I’m reproducing them in polished stainless steel. I have a welding fixture for that front bumper. Skip

Thanks Skip...nice stuff. I may take you up on it, at least the rear bumper.

(01-08-2021, 07:32 AM)Brett Mallory Wrote: Looks like quite a project, Scott.  If anyone can do it, I'm sure you can though.

On an unrelated note:  I just bought a blasting cabinet and air compressor to run it with.  I've got a couple of snowmobile engine resto's to do, and both owners want them blasted to like new condition.  One of them is a free air engine that has been painted Chevy orange - that one is going to be fun....   If you don't mind, I may be calling you for advice.  Obviously, you have blasting air cooled engines perfected!
Brett,
Email sent!!

RE: Margay Cheetah - ted johnson - 01-12-2021

(01-12-2021, 06:53 AM)Scott Kneisel Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 09:40 PM)Vince Rosanelli Wrote: MK III. The front porch/bumper is correct, however, the front floor pan should extend from the straight axle to the front most lower portion of the porch. That rusty steel foot ramp obviously needs to go. Also, it appears someone made a singular unit of the brake pedal and master cylinder. The master cylinder should be mounted further back where the factory hangers are. The homemade hanger that the master cylinder is currently on needs to be cut off. Still a nice kart.

Yeah, I love that brake pedal....Simplicity in action...NOT

Thanks for the input

(01-08-2021, 09:38 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Scott, iff'n you need a seat, I have the Carl Weakley repop I took off the Photon. It has a couple holes for struts/braces and ugly snaps around the edge. It's not as strong as the original Cheetah seat, but if you want her, she's yours for the shipping. Ted

Thanks Ted, I appreciate your offer and will take you up on it. Email sent!!

(01-05-2021, 11:37 PM)David Luciani Wrote: hi scot, pretty nice but needs some loving. front porch correct.
yer bud dave l

Thanks Dave,
From the adverts I have seen on the MKIII I have not seen a nerf on the left side. If you have a pic of one, I would love to see it.
Yes, it needs a lot of lovin but I am going for it, should be a good project.
Lots of good input here.

(01-07-2021, 10:58 PM)Skip Owen Wrote: Scott. If you end up restoring it and want fresh bumpers and nerfs I’m reproducing them in polished stainless steel. I have a welding fixture for that front bumper. Skip

Thanks Skip...nice stuff. I may take you up on it, at least the rear bumper.

(01-08-2021, 07:32 AM)Brett Mallory Wrote: Looks like quite a project, Scott.  If anyone can do it, I'm sure you can though.

On an unrelated note:  I just bought a blasting cabinet and air compressor to run it with.  I've got a couple of snowmobile engine resto's to do, and both owners want them blasted to like new condition.  One of them is a free air engine that has been painted Chevy orange - that one is going to be fun....   If you don't mind, I may be calling you for advice.  Obviously, you have blasting air cooled engines perfected!
Brett,
Email sent!!
Scott see your emails. I have a new email address. Remember, there are a bunch of snaps on the edge of the Cheetah seat I'm sending. You'll need to do a bit of epoxy repair where a couple have broken out. There are two holes for supports bottom-front, and one strut hole high each side. Those have the Comet reinforcements, but I doubt they'll bother you. Two holes back center low down for the extra center chassis brace I put on the Photon. I will send the upholstery. You can use it for a pattern, or you can repair the snaps and just snap it in. It isn't factory, but it was a custom cover by a fellow in Mesa. Ted

My reply got mixed up with Bret's somehow! Ted