Vintage Karting Forum
GEEZER TBO DAY 2 - Printable Version

+- Vintage Karting Forum (https://www.vintagekartforum.com)
+-- Forum: Main forums (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: GEEZER TBO DAY 2 (/showthread.php?tid=2682)

GEEZER TBO DAY 2 - Blaine Young - 08-31-2019

THE MORNING WEATHER STARTED OUT GREAT WITH THE AFTERNOON GOING TO CLOUDY AND WINDY BUT DRY.  A TIP OF SMOKEY'S HAT TO MR. MAX TORQUE FOR UPDATING ME ON THE NEW DRAGON SKIN LININGS AND INSIGHT INTO HOW HE LOADS ALL THOSE SPRINGS ON TO THE CLUTCH.  THE TOOL HE CREATED IS IMPRESSIVE AND A FANCIER MODEL IS NOW AVAILABLE FROM TERRY IVES.

THE TURNOUT TODAY WAS A RETURN TO NORMAL WITH LOTS OF REAR ENGINE KARTS, A FAIRLY LIGHT FLEA MARKET CROWD, AND LOTS OF FRIENDLY CHIT CHAT.

GARY W SHOWED UP IN MID AFTERNOON.   HIS FELLOW ASTRONAUTS WERE UNABLE TO GO TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MOON TO THE STREET RACE, SO HE CAME TO THE TBO.  

ANYONE THAT WANTED TRACK TIME WAS ABLE TO GET AN ALMOST UNLIMITED AMOUNT (SUBJECT TO THEIR EQUIPMENT'S SURVIVAL).  ONE NOTABLE SESSION HAD EIGHT KARTS WITH VARIOUS HISTORIC ENGINES RUNNING NOSE TO TAIL FOR QUIT A FEW LAPS.  IT WAS A RARE SIGHT THAT REALLY WAS AN UNEXPECTED TREAT.

THE INCREASE IN FLEA MARKET ITEMS PROVIDED A FEW IRRESISTABLE ITEMS BUT DIDN'T GET CLOSE TO THE LARGE HOLES IN THE WALLET THE LAST FEW YEARS.  THERE ARE STILL SOME BIG TICKET ITEMS THAT THREATEN MY WALLET.  WE WILL SEE WHAT SUNDAY WILL BRING.

A NOTE TO THOSE OF YOU TRYING TO SELL KARTS, ENGINES, ETC.  YOU NEED TO PUT YOUR ASKING PRICE ON YOUR BIG TICKET ITEM.  IT'S EASY TO PASS ON AN UNMARKED ITEM.   THE RIGHT PRICE IS MORE LIKELY TO GET AN INQUIRY THAN THE ASSUMPTION THAT AN UNMARKED ITEM IS PRICED WAY TOO HIGH.

SMOKEY

RE: GEEZER TBO DAY 2 - Jim Donovan - 09-04-2019

Smokey -- I wish I could take credit for the spring changer but that neat tool came from a karter that showed it to me down in Barnesville. Steve Seewer was the inventor of that neat little tool. It is always the end user that comes up with neat gimmicks for the clutch. I make the clutch to fit on the mcCulloch taper but never gave any thought on how the heck to get it off. That nice engineering was done by Bill McCornack who figured out the holes to use a puller on. I would had you just hammer it off so I could sell you another clutch.

This is what is missing in modern karting is the innovation that the racer comes up with to do this and make things better. The GREAT ideas are dreamed up by the racer than copied by people like G.E.M (Earl Larsen who would nicely ask you if you would mind if he copied it and naturally you would say yes because you sure as heck didn't want to mass produce them).

The vintage racers are the last of a special breed of racer who would try things until they got them perfected to give them an edge. The modern racer doesn't have the time to tinker because he or she has a "full plate" and not enough time in the day to get things done. I love go to the vintage races because these were the people that enjoyed getting dirty and work with their hands. They love what they are doing and now will share the time and their talents to keep others on the track and these old engines running. My hat if off to the these people, they are the best of the Baby Boomers and myself being older than that know we grew up in the best of times--the 50's and the 60's.

RE: GEEZER TBO DAY 2 - Dick Teal - 09-04-2019

Very well said Jim. It was a different time when everyone wanted to go fast. 

Dick Teal

RE: GEEZER TBO DAY 2 - Scott Elkes - 09-12-2019

Two very nice and well written comments from Blaine Young (TBO coverage) and Jim Donovan (innovations).

My TBO visit found me on the opposite end of the swap meet table, being a seller of late Pat Willey's items. I agree with Blaine, having marked prices on items really helped moved the process along. Another highlight was to once again drive a Dart Grand Prix (1965) / MC-91b powewred kart of Al Hasenfratz, a regular on the VKA circuit. The kart handle great and fast! (There is a Facebook video of this by Herb Dickel, Jr.). This was very similar to the setup I raced here at Fremont in a night race in 1965.

My return to karting late 2012, active kart owner early 2013 starting with a modern 125cc TaG to test my interest to return to karting on an ongoing basis. Jim's innovation observation rings true. Since not being an active racer, allows me time for a favorite past time back in the days making up tools, simple parts or enhancing hauling the kart to the track. My first project started immediately and was necessary. The completed project "Hauler" has been a real attention getter with modern and vintage karters alike...
https://vimeo.com/75821878

RE: GEEZER TBO DAY 2 - David Luciani - 09-12-2019

nice set up on the hauler.
d Cool

RE: GEEZER TBO DAY 2 - Scott Elkes - 09-29-2019

Frame grab of Herb Dickel’s video of me driving Al Hasenfratz’s 1965 Dart Grand Prix / MC-91b kart in Saturday’s session. I did a night race back in 1965, racing a 1963 Grand Prix / Mc-7. 

.jpeg   2AEAD372-9261-4719-A2E9-C0165C983DA1.jpeg (Size: 464.87 KB / Downloads: 22)

.jpeg   B1C413EC-3EE0-4467-94A3-8F5EEBA4C36F.jpeg (Size: 277.11 KB / Downloads: 17)