Vintage Karting Forum
Genesee Valley Kart Club 60th Anniversary June 22 - Printable Version

+- Vintage Karting Forum (https://www.vintagekartforum.com)
+-- Forum: Main forums (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Genesee Valley Kart Club 60th Anniversary June 22 (/showthread.php?tid=2611)

Genesee Valley Kart Club 60th Anniversary June 22 - Brett Mallory - 06-17-2019

This Saturday, June 22, is the 60th Anniversary of the Genesee Valley Kart Club, and we want the vintage karts to be a part of that celebration.  The weather report is looking good so far (fingers crossed...) for Saturday, but Sunday June 23 is the rain date.  Bring those vintage karts out to the track and join the celebration!

RE: Genesee Valley Kart Club 60th Anniversary June 22 - Scott Elkes - 06-19-2019

Congratulations for 60 years of karting! 

A recent "Pat Willey magazine Karter News" scanned. Pictorial / Results from a 1972 event early into the club's second decade.

Cover/Contents...

.jpg   PW KN 197210_11 01 02 Cover Contents.jpg (Size: 1.72 MB / Downloads: 15)

The Avon Track / Genesee Valley Kart Club story...

.jpg   PW KN 197210_11 19 Avon.jpg (Size: 5.34 MB / Downloads: 15)

RE: Genesee Valley Kart Club 60th Anniversary June 22 - Brett Mallory - 06-19-2019

Thanks for sharing that Scott! I had that magazine!

Some names jump out at me: Scott Goodyear, Ron Redding, Jerry Gallagher, and the Gutberlets.

RE: Genesee Valley Kart Club 60th Anniversary June 22 - Scott Elkes - 06-22-2019

Ironically, for personal reasons, I started scanning the World Karting October, 1989 issue for the WKA Sprint Grand Nationals. Look where the WKA Grand Nationals were held? East Avon, NY. Thirty years ago... 

Cover and contents...

.jpg   PW WK 198910 01 02 Cover Contents.jpg (Size: 1.72 MB / Downloads: 7)

Story...

.jpg   PW WK 198910 16 WKA GN Avon.jpg (Size: 3.96 MB / Downloads: 11)

.jpg   PW WK 198910 17 WKA GN Avon.jpg (Size: 2.05 MB / Downloads: 9)

.jpg   PW WK 198910 18 WKA GN Avon.jpg (Size: 3.9 MB / Downloads: 9)

RE: Genesee Valley Kart Club 60th Anniversary June 22 - Brett Mallory - 06-23-2019

Scott, thank you! It completely slipped my mind that the Grand Nationals were at Avon in 1989. I would have brought it up at the driver's meeting yesterday had I remembered. I knew I didn't have the driving talent to run with that group, but I volunteered to be one of the corner workers for the weekend. The band I was in at that time played at the track that Saturday night too.

Overall, the 60th anniversary turned out pretty good. The pits were full of karts and there were a lot of spectators. Some of the names in that article - Pete Lipp, Ralph Alexander, Rich Gamrod - were there yesterday. It's a shame that the date clashed with the VKA date, we could have used more vintage karts.

I debuted my modern open kart I just built and ran my MXK Mirage/4 cycle in vintage as well. Today I hurt in places I didn't even know I had places!!!