Vintage Karting Forum
Our karting beginnings - Printable Version

+- Vintage Karting Forum (https://www.vintagekartforum.com)
+-- Forum: Karting history (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Member reminiscences about karting early years (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Our karting beginnings (/showthread.php?tid=18)

Our karting beginnings - ted johnson - 01-17-2016

Great Idea, Dave. Pop and I were interested in roundy round Early Model Modified racing, and by extension, hot rodding. Pop bought a '32 Ford roadster with an outrageously built OHV Caddie V-12 in it. He began buying Hot Rod, Rod and Custom and Car Craft magazines. Through R&C, we saw some Lynn Wineland articles about karting. Pop had built a quarter midget several years earlier, for the local Ford dealer. I was hired by them to drive it, but QM's bored me, so I gave it up after about three years. Karts really seemed much more interesting, as they turned both directions, and had two cycle engines. When we saw the first Bug, Pop immediately called Tom Pierson and became a dealer in West Melbourne, FL. I got my first dead axle Bug Custom with an A400 in 1958. Pop bought a dual A400 dead axle Bug. I ended up with a dual dead axle Bug with twin E-65's on it. Pop got a late '59 Wasp with an Mc5, and we promptly got outrun by a kid with a Wasp and prototype AH 58 PP. We were already Mac saw dealers, so Pop called Bob McCulloch direct, and in a week, we had a preproduction Mc6 conversion kit. No more getting outrun! I took a dead axle Bug and installed a Reed Eng. live axle kit and sissy plates with pads. I put a VERY early Mc6 on it. It was such a simple kart that it probably weighed 90 pounds all up-even with the heavy Hands wheels. It was very quick, and would beat most dual West Bend 580/700 karts. We progressed from there. I took over the kart dealership in '61 when I turned 17. We added Go Kart in '61, so we had Bug, Go Kart, Clinton, Mac, Homelite and PP to work with. We were Yazoo mower dealers, so we even sold a couple Yazoo Dragsters. We were taught by one of the best engine men in America to build modified Macs, and were very successful. As karting mostly went away in late '63 and '64, I closed the kart shop and went to work for Pop in the lawn mower end of the building. I also ran his hobby shop for him until I went to work at Cape Canaveral in '66. I thank Paul Martin for telling me about the vintage movement in '01. Ted

RE: Our karting beginnings - Scott Elkes - 02-26-2017

Remember this kart? An original survivor "Speed Mobile" kart. Owner is from Indiana. I saw him at the 2014 REARs TBO. He was not sure if it was all original. All he did was disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the kart. Gas tank needed no servicing, replaced the rotted black hose with a clear vinyl hose. Started on the 3rd pull. Told him the kart and engine was all correct, except for the fuel line.

My first kart was a Speed Mobile. Dad rescued the kart that was headed for the dumpster at Tiedtke's Department Store and brought it home in his car's trunk in several bushel baskets. He figured if I could put it together, he would know that I had true interest in karting. Had it all almost all together the next day, I didn't understand the pulley throttle system.

Dad and I took the kart to a lawn mower shop that evening to be completed. Seemed like forever at the shop, but I think we picked it up the following day. lol. The kart was turquoise and silver.

Home movie...
https://vimeo.com/49976793

RE: Our karting beginnings - ted johnson - 02-26-2017

(02-26-2017, 01:55 PM)Scott elkes Wrote: Remember this kart? An original survivor "Speed Mobile" kart. Owner is from Indiana. I saw him at the 2014 REARs TBO. He was not sure if it was all original. All he did was disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the kart. Gas tank needed no servicing, replaced the rotted black hose with a clear vinyl hose. Started on the 3rd pull. Told him the kart and engine was all correct, except for the fuel line.

My first kart was a Speed Mobile. Dad rescued the kart that was headed for the dumpster at Tiedtke's Department Store and brought it home in his car's trunk in several bushel baskets. He figured if I could put it together, he would know that I had true interest in karting. Had it all almost all together the next day, I didn't understand the pulley throttle system.

Dad and I took the kart to a lawn mower shop that evening to be completed. Seemed like forever at the shop, but I think we picked it up the following day. lol. The kart was turquoise and silver.

Home movie...
https://vimeo.com/49976793
Mike Anderson brought the Hedstrom kart to Fremont. He was going to demo it on the track, nut I talked him into asking Autumn Nagle to drive it. She's smaller and prettier than Mike! You could have walked the track faster than the Hedstrom could go, but the demo was a ball to watch. Ted

RE: Our karting beginnings - steve welte - 03-01-2017

Ahh the early days of insanity. Karts were so crude. I remember racing with no brakes, tie rods falling off, steering wheels coming off the shaft or turning on the shafts and a host of other problems. It was the norm back then. Probably a good thing this kart was slow. LOL

We all also know that Ted could tell the karting stories 'till the cows come home. He went easy on us.