Vintage Karting Forum
Axles - Printable Version

+- Vintage Karting Forum (https://www.vintagekartforum.com)
+-- Forum: Main forums (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Axles (/showthread.php?tid=1515)

Pages: 1 2 3

Axles - tom dandes - 06-08-2017

Does anyone know someone who has a 40" stepped axle that doesn't have 35 thousands TIR? I bought an axle that I thought would work little did I know it was so bent you didn't even need to put it on a dial indicator.

Does someone sell or make them a straight axle?

RE: Axles - Paul F - 06-08-2017

Sounds like an Azusa axle. Every one I have bought was bent. I'm cheap so it was wood and a 25# sledge for me.

RE: Axles - ted johnson - 06-08-2017

I don't get it. The last three Azusa axles I bought have been very straight. I replaced the Azusa in the n1ke with a Jack Canady aluminum axle to save the weight when lifting the kart, but the Azusa is still in the shop in case I need it. The Swoopster has an Azusa in it, and it is just fine. Before I installed it, we rolled it on the flat table in the Albuquerque machine shop I used. It was within .010 TIR. This is about the same as the modern axles I used to use in the sidewinders. I don't get it. TJ

RE: Axles - Tom Day - 06-08-2017

(06-08-2017, 07:45 AM)tom dandes Wrote: Does anyone know someone who has a 40" stepped axle that doesn't have 35 thousands TIR? I bought an axle that I thought would work little did I know it was so bent you didn't even need to put it on a dial indicator.

Does someone sell or make them a straight axle?

Don Axe

RE: Axles - tom dandes - 06-08-2017

Ted the one I have was one of the flex proof axles and if it was .010 or less I would have been a happy camper. I put it on a set of v blocks and checked the run out and didn't believe what I was seeing. So I chucked it up in the lathe and gave it a slow turn and got the same readings. I guess it's just luck of the draw if it's bent or straight.

RE: Axles - Randy Dacus - 06-08-2017

Just bought two axles and a twenty ton press........hope that's enough Big Grin !

RE: Axles - Jeff May - 06-08-2017

Call Don Axe

Just a thought about straightening axles...
A lot of times you can indeed straighten the axle to within a very acceptable range...
However,
You need to keep an eye on it.
My experience with straightening axles and other metal objects is that they have a "memory"
They will eventually start getting run out again...Maybe not as bad, but it will go back to where it was...

RE: Axles - tom dandes - 06-08-2017

Jeff that is exactly my concern with this flex proof axle. If I do bend this thing in my press wouldn't the abuse it takes just return it back because of the metal memory? Especially since you would have to flex a flex proof axle in a press to straighten it?

RE: Axles - ted johnson - 06-08-2017

Hey, Tom. I guess I've been lucky with the Azusa axles! They've all been the Flex proof except the time I was asleep when I ordered the one in the dual Van Tech. I had to drill that one, but it was pretty straight. I like the several pound reduction in weight of aluminum, so I did a CAD model and Jack Canady has been machining them from TG&P 7075 aluminum shafting stock. The keyslots begin to loosen after four or fife years, but it's worth it. Ted

RE: Axles - Bill Peck - 06-08-2017

(06-08-2017, 01:39 PM)tom dandes Wrote: Jeff that is exactly my concern with this flex proof axle. If I do bend this thing in my press wouldn't the abuse it takes just return it back because of the metal memory? Especially since you would have to flex a flex proof axle in a press to straighten it?

We used to bend axles all the time running dirt. One good bump and kiss it goodbye! We tried straightening them, but once they were bent they just didn't hold up. I started using flex-proof after that. They seemed to hold up the the best. In fact, that's what's in my Bug now.