Vintage Karting Forum
Rupp Upholstery - Printable Version

+- Vintage Karting Forum (https://www.vintagekartforum.com)
+-- Forum: Main forums (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Rupp Upholstery (/showthread.php?tid=1103)

Pages: 1 2

Rupp Upholstery - Ron Reaves - 02-22-2017

I will be replacing the upholstery on my 65 grand prix  i'm rebuilding.  Can anyone provide a good source?   My seat is solid black with black pleating and the heat stitching is about 1/2" to 9/16".    Thx...Ron

RE: Rupp Upholstery - Blaine Krugerud - 02-22-2017

(02-22-2017, 07:27 PM)Ron Reaves Wrote: I will be replacing the upholstery on my 65 grand prix  i'm rebuilding.  Can anyone provide a good source?   My seat is solid black with black pleating and the heat stitching is about 1/2" to 9/16".    Thx...Ron

Too funny! I was just coming here to ask the same thing. My original is ok(same style as Rons), but I wand to replace it with new product. Before the other site went down someone told me about a fellow in New York that made these just like the OEM seats. Does anyone have that info? OR anyone else you would recommend? I am looking for really good to restoration quality.

Thanks!

Holy crap Ron! Did you have the whole frame rechromed? I wish I would have looked at those photos before I posted...

RE: Rupp Upholstery - doug tenney - 02-22-2017

Ron, in the past folks have highly recommended Mike Schlager for Rupp upholstery. He lives in the Buffalo NY area, and can be contacted at bbombmike@aol.com.
Mike is extremely talented and knows his stuff cold when it comes to Rupps (and lots of other stuff).

I had the foresight to create a PDF copy of the Rupp thread from the old forum (RIP) back in December, just before it detonated.  There's some good discussion on upholstery.  See attached.

See, OCD can have its benefits! Shy

RE: Rupp Upholstery - Blaine Krugerud - 02-22-2017

(02-22-2017, 09:45 PM)doug tenney Wrote: Ron, in the past folks have highly recommended Mike Schlager for Rupp upholstery.  He lives in the Buffalo NY area, and can be contacted at bbombmike@aol.com.
Mike is extremely talented and knows his stuff cold when it comes to Rupps (and lots of other stuff).

I had the foresight to create a PDF copy of the Rupp thread from the old forum (RIP) back in December, just before it detonated.  There's some good discussion on upholstery.  See attached.

Thanks Doug! That is who I was looking for.

I am planning on sticking my old seat on the A Bone chassis that is currently in the paint shop. I am planning on letting my son run that around, so I didn't want to go fancy on it. I have a couple other questions that I want to ask and I will post those shortly on a separate thread.

RE: Rupp Upholstery - Ron Reaves - 02-23-2017

(02-22-2017, 09:37 PM)Blaine Krugerud Wrote:
(02-22-2017, 07:27 PM)Ron Reaves Wrote: I will be replacing the upholstery on my 65 grand prix  i'm rebuilding.  Can anyone provide a good source?   My seat is solid black with black pleating and the heat stitching is about 1/2" to 9/16".    Thx...Ron

Too funny! I was just coming here to ask the same thing. My original is ok(same style as Rons), but I wand to replace it with new product. Before the other site went down someone told me about a fellow in New York that made these just like the OEM seats. Does anyone have that info? OR anyone else you would recommend? I am looking for really good to restoration quality.

Thanks!

Holy crap Ron! Did you have the whole frame rechromed? I wish I would have looked at those photos before I posted...

Blaine, I believe this kart has a serious race history.  I read somewhere in an old post that some of the Rupp Race Team Grand Prix had chromed rear ends.  I don't know if it's true though.   I believe this kart was raced in the 60s with the chromed rear frame.   The rest of the bright work on the rear are all aluminum assemblies that were burnished by Sam Bennett.  It came out really good.   Front half of frame is powder coated....Ron

(02-22-2017, 09:45 PM)doug tenney Wrote: Ron, in the past folks have highly recommended Mike Schlager for Rupp upholstery.  He lives in the Buffalo NY area, and can be contacted at bbombmike@aol.com.

Doug, thanks, that was the name I was trying to remember.   I'm glad for your OCD and the PDF, at least we can benefit from it....Ron

RE: Rupp Upholstery - Scott Elkes - 02-27-2017

(02-23-2017, 04:44 PM)Ron Reaves Wrote:
(02-22-2017, 09:37 PM)Blaine Krugerud Wrote:

Thanks!

Blaine, I believe this kart has a serious race history.  I read somewhere in an old post that some of the Rupp Race Team Grand Prix had chromed rear ends.  I don't know if it's true though.   I believe this kart was raced in the 60s with the chromed rear frame.   The rest of the bright work on the rear are all aluminum assemblies that were burnished by Sam Bennett.  It came out really good.   Front half of frame is powder coated....Ron

Doug, thanks, that was the name I was trying to remember.   I'm glad for your OCD and the PDF, at least we can benefit from it....Ron
Blaine (and Ron),
Mike Schlager is the person I mentioned on your 64/65 Dart GP help requested thread. I have seen his Dart karts at MIS and Mid-Ohio and they are stunning! Friends recommend him for upholstery, specializing in Dart karts. I did this video of my weekend visit at New Castle and Mid-Ohio last summer (2016). Mike's two vintage Dart laydown karts appear at the end before the last scene ending the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rd2X1MPZ3k

RE: Rupp Upholstery - Blaine Krugerud - 02-27-2017

I have made contact with him and will be ordering a seat this week.

PS: I like those karts he has. Why don't they run the knock off wheels on the front? Did they have a history of coming off during the races?

RE: Rupp Upholstery - Scott Elkes - 03-04-2017

Mike at MIS with one of his Dart Karts (September 24, 2016) 

Not sure if this is the "Mean Machine" or the Model K (foreign dual).

RE: Rupp Upholstery - Blaine Krugerud - 03-04-2017

That looks fast just sitting there.☺

RE: Rupp Upholstery - Jeff May - 03-05-2017

Mike Schlager